The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 23, 1999, 01:49 AM   #1
dwestfall

I've got a Scattergun mag extension with the squarish side sling adapter. The Scattergun tac sling clips into it with a spring-steel clip.

The problem is that when the shotgun is carried "American Style" the clip is pointing up because the sling is going over your shoulder. If you push the sling out with your dominant hand, the butt comes up and the gun goes horizontal. (I know this isn't exactly the proper technique but bear with me.) At this point the sling clip moves 180 degrees as the sling changes position.

During the clip's movement, the spring steel on the sling clip catch on the square edges of the side sling adapter, forcing the spring steel open. Every time, the sling RELEASES FROM THE MOUNT and I'm left holding a shotgun dangling from only the rear sling swivel.

Any comments on this (other than "So don't do that.")

Also on the subject, I've got a speedfeed stock on this 870 which has the sling swivel at the bottom. Does anybody make stocks for the 870 that have side cutouts in the stock for a side sling ala the Benelli?
Old November 23, 1999, 11:58 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Have you tried the old standby...duct tape the clip shut?
Old November 23, 1999, 12:13 PM   #3
dwestfall

Are you familiar with the Scattergun sling?

This is a little hard to describe. The sling has a J-hook piece of steel on the end that goes through a slot in the side sling adapter which is a flat piece of metal. There's a piece of bent spring steel in the J-Hook that closes off the J but is flexible for installation purposes. Unfortunately the spring steel catches on the flat bar which forces the spring steel apart like a wedge.

If the side sling adapter was a conventional ROUND bar there would be no problem.

I'm afraid this is one situation where duct tape won't save the day. It wouldn't be able to keep the spring steel from being wedged out by the bar -- too much leverage.
Old November 23, 1999, 12:40 PM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Sounds like the spring clip on the FN FAL. Would it be possible/practical to bend the end over so that a sideways motion would be required to unclip? That is if there is enough overlap.
Old November 24, 1999, 12:41 AM   #5
dwestfall

Thanks for the suggestion. I managed to crunch the little spring steel loop smaller by putting it in a vice and hammering on it with a screwdriver.

Works great now! Just needed a little elbow grease.