The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 3, 2000, 11:25 PM   #1
BadMedicine

I was driving out on Minnessota drive this evening and spotted a couple of moose just moseying across the road. We see them out there alot, but it's still awesome. At first it looked like the one was bigger, a cow and calf maybe, but then when we got close I noticed the second one was a small bull and the cow was about his size. His antlers were about 8 inches long and had about hand size palms on them. Probably about a 3 or 4 point, but too dark to count, and we didn't stop, we just drove on by.
I'm getting prety excited. Late seasons starts in a couple days, and I've seen two small bulls in a week. Niether were legal size, but just seeing horns get's by blood pumpin'. Can't wait to go out next weekend. Maybe I'll go for a couple evening drives this week
Old December 4, 2000, 12:26 AM   #2
bou3

I know what you mean. I work at the airport and at 3AM I see quite a bit of moose along International.
I was going to NAPA on jewel lake and saw a real nice bull, too bad he was in town. oh well, thats anchorage for ya I guess.
Old December 4, 2000, 01:41 AM   #3
BadMedicine

I was headed home from the airport when I saw him. There's ALOT of good habitat out their.I was dropping my brother off, cuz he was flying home (valdez.) He was over here for a wedding. This was about, say, 4:30pm, it was just getting dark. Yeah, there's a really big moose wondering around spenard with christmas lights tangled in his antlers That happens to a couple moose a year up here. They try to feed on the small trees in peoples yards and get wrapped up. Man I'd like to find were this bull drops his antlers, he's about a 45 incher, with really long defined tines.
Another place we nearly always see moose is on tudor, between where it turns to muldoon, and the cop-shop road. It sure would be nice if they opened up a short weekend bow-hunt in the bowl. There are some monsters here in town!!