The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2001, 08:30 AM   #1
canuck2

.357 mag dies selection including cowboy

Does it matter which dies I pick to reload for my .357 Marlin carbine? I use a 3 die set for my .44 Carbine but wonder how the RCBS cowboy dies differ, as I will just be plinking. I had to phone 50 miles around to find anything; will I be happy with Hornady Ti nitrate dies? Still use lube with brass cases here right?
Thanks, Ed
Old December 21, 2001, 09:19 AM   #2
Jim Watson

I think any name brand loading die will do you just fine.
I have no experience with RCBS Cowboy dies
http://www.rcbs.com/equipment.html
but have loaded an awful lot of ammo on their regular dies, .357 cast and jacketed included.
Lyman is good, CH and Lee are OK. Redding has a terriffic reputation and I know a happy Bonanza user. I don't have any Hornady dies, but have read that the titanium nitride coated band in the sizing die serves the same purpose as everybody else's carbide insert - no case lube required.

I would get dies listed as .38-.357 so you could handle .38 Special brass if the need arose. Even if they are not marked for both, you can load Magnums with any Special die set I have ever seen, but not the other way around