The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 9, 2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Flashover2011

Tanfoglio Witness .45

I have a witness .45 with a 3.5" barrel and full size grips, it is polymer with the rounded slide. My question is, why is there two recoil springs wrapped around the guide rod? Why not just have one?

Would a Wolff spring of 18# or 20# be able to replace the two springs that are being used now?

Also, there is a round ring that fits into the front slide as a guide or block for the recoil/guide rod, and it is BEAT UP! The gun has had roughly 1000 rounds through it in it's life and the outer ring of this piece has chips and dents, I'm afraid it's going to break but I don't know where I could get a replacement. Any answers would help. Thanks in advance, sorry if my terminology is incorrect
Old April 9, 2013, 09:55 PM   #2
lee n. field

Quote:
I have a witness .45 with a 3.5" barrel and full size grips, it is polymer with the rounded slide. My question is, why is there two recoil springs wrapped around the guide rod? Why not just have one?
I have several autoloaders that use two nested recoil springs. It has not been a problem.

Quote:
Would a Wolff spring of 18# or 20# be able to replace the two springs that are being used now?
Maybe, maybe not.

Quote:
I'm afraid it's going to break but I don't know where I could get a replacement. Any answers would help
Call EAA?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 10, 2013, 02:58 AM   #3

I had one years ago 45 acp ported. It loved to choke on itself, mostly FTF but also the Occasional FTE.
Old April 11, 2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Walt Sherrill

You get replacements from EAA, of course. They're pretty good about parts and handling requests quickly.

I would NOT change from a twisted/braided spring designed to another that is not made in the same manner. Put simply, that different spring is arguably there for a reason -- EAA or Tanfoglio wouldn't do something (implicitly) more expensive just for kicks.

I recently found, for example, that some SIG models that come with a braided recoil springs have wear problems if a conventional-style (non-twisted/braided) spring is used in place of the factory spring. Seems counter-intuitive, but I think it was discussed here not too long ago: Bruce Gray (a renowned SIG gunsmith) was the source.

If you're REALLY concerned about the spring or guide rod or barrel bushing (if that's what you're talking about) breaking, order replacements from EAA and use the ones you've got until they break. Recoil springs and guide rods don't break easily or often...

The piece you talk about as a retainer for the recoil spring sounds like a barrel bushing -- but there may be a different name for that part in your user manual. If that part is getting chewed up, it may mean the recoil spring is installed backwards. (There often is a difference between the ends.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; April 11, 2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old April 11, 2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Flashover2011

Thanks Walt!

Tags
.45 acp , eea , tanfoglio , witness