The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 27, 2013, 02:42 AM   #1
BuckRub

Selling a Winchester model 70 Pre 64

I'm thinking of selling a Winchester model 70 Pre 64. It is in 30-06 caliber. This gun is all original, no gunsmith work what so ever. It has normal wear but not abused. If I were to sell this gun what would be the asking price? Thanks
Old April 27, 2013, 08:10 AM   #2
jmr40

If it is a common post WW-II rifle around $600, a bit more if a Featherweight. If It were a Supergrade, or if in an odd chambering or configuration the price could be higher. Maybe signifcantly higher, but 30-06 is the most common chambering and that hurts value some.

You sometimes see folks advertise them for significantly more, and you sometimes find people who overpay for them. 20-30 years ago any pre-64 brought a premium, but that was primarily because they were one of the few options for a CRF rifle. Today a new CRF Winchester can be bought for just over $700 and is a better rifle than the pre-64's.

But if it was made prior to the war they get serious collector interest and the price could be quite a bit higher. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say for sure and would recommend a professional appraisal if it is an older gun.
Old April 27, 2013, 12:14 PM   #3
makarov

As a reference point, there is a 1953 30-06 model 70 in our local Nickel paper. It says it is mint. $1250. If it was $600 I would buy it myself. I think I would ask more. They are collectible guns.
Old April 27, 2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Dan Newberry

Yeah... I'll take all you've got at 600 bucks a copy.

If it doesn't bring 1000, hang on to it.
Old April 28, 2013, 05:30 AM   #5
taylorce1

Without pictures of the rifle we can speculate all day what it is worth. While people might ask $1000-2000+ for a Pre-64 that doesn't mean it is worth that much. The rifle is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. There are quite a few sub $1000 Pre-64 Winchesters out there if a person looks around.

If you can post some detailed pictures of the rifle and that will help you to get a more realistic idea of what it is worth. If pictures aren't an option, you can search gunbroker as well. Don't search current auctions, instead go into the advanced search options and search for Pre-64 M70's that have sold and find what similar condition rifles in .30-06 went for. That will give you a realistic price of what they are selling for.