The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 5, 2008, 02:46 AM   #1
omkhan

Slugs in Karatay Taktik

Hi there,
I own an Akkar Karatay Taktik in 12 GA. Its a turkish gun, bought here in karachi, Pakistan for around 450 USD. Its a smooth bore gun. I want to ask can I shoot slugs from this gun? If yes, what kinda of slugs would be appropriate?

Unfortunately, no user manual came with it + not much info on web. http://gunsphilippines.blogspot.com/...ay-taktik.html has some nice things to say but still not what i am looking for. From net, I have learned that it can be chambered for 2 3/4 as well as 3" shell.

Any one has the experience of this gun btw?

Here r the pics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg karatay.jpg (128.0 KB, 9008 views)
File Type: jpg karatay2.jpg (60.5 KB, 8306 views)
Old September 5, 2008, 03:22 AM   #2
Powderman

Omkhan, the shotgun looks like it has roots in the Remington 870, which is a very well made and durable arm.

You should be able to chamber and fire any 2 3/4 inch or 3 inch slug without problems, as long as the gun is chambered for the 3 inch slug. I recommend the 2 3/4 inch, as the 3 inch slug fired from a pump shotgun can be pretty rough.
Old September 5, 2008, 09:28 AM   #3
.22lr

Stick with 2 3/4" shells till you KNOW

omkhan,
Scrutinize the receiver and barrel for the chamber capability. if you cannot find one then I would recommend that you find a gunsmith who can measure it. It is possible to chamber a shell that is too long / powerful for your shotgun (example being that a 3.5" shell can fit in some 3" chambers, but with possibly disastrous results upon firing.)

I wish you the best of luck.

VR

Matt
Old September 5, 2008, 10:10 AM   #4
SDC

It may also be marked in metric; 2 3/4" is 70mm, 3" is 76mm.
Old September 5, 2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Wayward_Son

I love the name. Looks and sounds like Karate Tactic.
Old September 5, 2008, 10:32 AM   #6
rantingredneck

Interesting. It looks like an 870 and a Mossberg 590 mated and produced offspring.

I'll agree that you should stick with 2 3/4 until you know for sure it's chambered for 3".

That being said any 2 3/4" "rifled" slug should work. What choke constriction does it have if any?
Old September 5, 2008, 12:36 PM   #7
omkhan

thanks all for ur replies. No such marking is present on the gun. I just measured the ejection port & it is just a couple of mm short in 3 inch. anyways, I guess 2 3/4 is fine. Dont wanna take any risk.
The gun handles very nicely. I tested it with number 4 birdshot & it spread was 10-14 inch on 15 yards. It has open choke, i believe. Will be on range next weekend again to pattern different loads on different distances.