The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 25, 2002, 02:04 PM   #1
HS/LD

Shotgun Ammo Selection for HD

After buying my new SG I am now looking for Shotgun ammo info.

Gelatin tests, recomendations etc.

For home defense puposes.

I am aware firearms tactical advocate the 2 3/4" #1 buckshot loads. Just looking for alternative sources of info.

Thanks again.
HS/LD
Old November 25, 2002, 03:59 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's a few gigs of stuff on this in the Archives. Research, then feel free to ask any questions the Archives do not answer.
Old November 25, 2002, 05:39 PM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

HS/LD, running a quick search using "home defense" as a search parameter for thread titles only gave me 70 threads for your viewing pleasure.

Here's one of the most recent ones..

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...t=home+defense

Have fun!
Old November 25, 2002, 08:59 PM   #4
Michael

See if you can get some Hornady TAP law enforcement ammunition. 12 gauge 00 buck, light magnum configuration.

Hornady gaurantees this to pattern in any shotgun.

We've tested this in 6 inch AOW's, it patterns 18 inches at 25 yards. In my back bored 20 incher it patterns 5 inches at 20 yards, 14 inches at 45 yards, and 23 inches at 65 yards.

Needless to say this is what goes in my SG for the house.
Old November 26, 2002, 05:54 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Erick,any idea why 00 is minimal, according to Awerback and the forensic guys? Thanks...
Old November 26, 2002, 09:06 PM   #6
george miller

someone told me that his house gun has #6 shot in it..rabbit load.says itll still blow a good sized hole in anything climbing through his window.i would go farther to suggest #4 buckshot for outdoors and indoors.you will have to try out various shot sizes yourself,compare recoil and penetration-my opinion is shotguns(shot loads) are basically limited to 30 yards.what works for some may not be comfortable for you.
Old November 27, 2002, 12:09 PM   #7
Skullboy

HS/LD, what loads you use depend on how worried you are about overpenetration.If you line in a apartment or condo, the last thing you want is for projectiles to go through the walls into your neigbhours residence.When I'm outdoors camping etc, I usually keep "00" buckshot in the gun, with slugs in the sidesaddle.At home I keep #7 1/2 birdshot" handy" for house varmints.I don't want projectiles going through the walls and hitting the wife and kid.

Skullboy.

If They Call It Tourist Season, Why Can't We Shoot Them?
Old November 27, 2002, 12:12 PM   #8
Cowdogpete

It's my non professional, unresearched opinion that any 2 3/4" or larger 00 loads or Slugs are suitable home defense loads.

Would you wnat to be shot by one? At defensive ranges you're going to make one hell of a hole in someone with any load. I seriously doubt they'll get up... if you can show me documentation of someone taking 9 32cal pellets to the chest and returning fire, then I'll look at ballistic differences in loads.

My $.02
Old November 27, 2002, 01:07 PM   #9
sjg26

Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition- REVIEW

Try here for info:
http://66.34.242.201:80/briefs10.htm
12 Gauge Shotshell Ammunition

For personal defense and law enforcement applications, the International Wound Ballistics Association advocates number 1
buckshot as being superior to all other buckshot sizes.
Old November 28, 2002, 06:19 AM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, Erick. I know the FBI used to use 4 Buck, but I'm ignorant of whether they still do.

I've doen a little shooting with 1 buck, the greater number of pellets seemed to be a good thing. In hindsight, I realize I was seeking the Golden Pellet.
Old November 28, 2002, 10:28 AM   #11
HS/LD

I made a decision!

I looked at the forum histories, read the International Wound Ballistics info, I even found hospital records from medical sites discussing the wounding characteristics of different shot.
(The pictures of the pellets of 12gauge #6 shot that had failed to penetrate all layers of skin at a range of 6 feet, the pellets were still visible stuck in the victims arm definitely made me think).

So I decided to go with these choices:

Home Defense:

2 3/4" 12 gauge 00 Buck Magnum 12 pellets Vel: 1290fps

2 3/4" 12 gauge 1 oz. Rifled Hollow Point Slug Vel: 1600fps

For when up in the Rockies (black bear, badger, cougar, idiots):

3" 12 gauge 00 Buck Magnum 15 pellets Vel: 1210 fps

3" 12 gauge 1 oz. Magnum Rifled Slug Vel: 1760 fps

Now all I need is someone to come and break in to the castle and we can find out just how well they will work

Regards,
HS/LD
Old November 30, 2002, 12:12 PM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, Erick. We did a few informal tests when one instructor tried to get DOC to go to 000, and some #1 buck found it's way into the range bag.

I don't recall seeing any big advantage on paper to any of these.

HS,those are hard kicking,heavy loads. If you can control them, and your shotgun "Likes" them, go for it.
Old November 30, 2002, 10:03 PM   #13
HS/LD

BTW guys I really appreciate all your enthusiastic input into these questions and topics.

Dave McC I grabbed another 200 2 3/4" target loads and about 50-60 rounds of the 2 3/4" and 3" mag loads and shot the lot this morning. (Still no hiccups from the Winchester 1300)

I am experienced with pistol, subgun, and rifle, but pretty inexperienced with a shotgun. The kick of the 3" mag loads, while stout is not really that bad. Although I am 6' and 220lbs recoil is more to do with technique and mindset. No bruises yet!

Thanks again to you all for the input.

Regards,
HS/LD
Old December 1, 2002, 12:25 AM   #14
sm

'nuther thought (s)
while testing use a pattern board at various ranges
if-n you can try shooting various materials(sheetrock, plyboard, old car doors, wood).

never hurts to know what a particular load will do at various ranges and encounters.
Old December 1, 2002, 09:37 AM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good, HS. I suggest really grooving in the mount for any shotgunning, fast COFs with heavier loads demand good form to accomplish.

HTH....