The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 28, 2009, 11:40 PM   #1
jg0001

Florida (Non-Resident) Concealed Weapon ID issued in under 3 weeks

FYI: for those keeping score on the Florida non-resident concealed carry permits... it was bandied about that it was taking up to 6 months for turnaround... a recent experience suggest otherwise (<3 weeks):

[This is on a brand new issuance to someone who does not have a permit in their own state.]

mailing of submission: Nov 11 (2009)
date on issued id: Nov 24
date recvd in mail: Nov 28

Photo done manually. Fingerprints also done manually (i.e. not using the electronic fingerprint submission mentioned in the FL docs). NRA safety course certificate used for the necessary training doc. Everything sent regular mail.

I'd say that's pretty damn good. And the receiver in question is just a regular citizen. A second individual that I know sent his in around the same time (that person lives in different state than the first). We shall see if his timing is similar.

In case anyone's keeping score, the docs in the package also listed 33 states in which the FL CWL is good, not including Florida (so 34 total), but a number of those states are footnoted to show that they only accept the FL CWL from FL residents. Taking out the states that require FL residence, the # drops to 30 states (incl FL).

Lastly, I found it very satisfying to know that nothing on the CWL itself states "non-resident" -- other than the fact that your address on it isn't in Florida. That's a nice touch, IMO, to avoid having someone dismiss it as 'not a real' CWL permit outside of FL.

Also, and this isn't a joke, the Florida agriculture commissioner listed on all of the FL docs is Charles H. Bronson. Anyone know if that's the actor? I found it amusing that the most desirable multi-state ID gets issued by (someone with the same name as) Mr Death Wish himself. Anti-gunners looking at the CWL would probably think it was fake based on that name. [** EDIT: The actor, Charles Bronson, died in 2003, so, I'm guessing it's not him. **]

Last edited by jg0001; November 30, 2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old November 29, 2009, 04:01 AM   #2
Glenn Dee

LMAO!!! No it isnt Charled Bronson the actor. It's Charles Bronson the Florida Agriculture Comish. I had that same question when I got my first fla CCW. I guess if Steven Segall can be a cop... Charles Bronson can be a comish.
Old November 30, 2009, 06:53 AM   #3
blume357

The problem I have with your post is the use of 'ID'...

there is such a thing as a state ID I had one for a while... it is for those who don't have a driver's license.

What you wanted to say was a Florida CWL (Concealed Weapon License)...

man, they must have accidentally put yours on the top of the pile.
Old November 30, 2009, 04:57 PM   #4
jg0001

/\---- fixed title, removing the overly abbreviated wording so that it is totally clear... thanks for pointing that out.
Old November 30, 2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Hkmp5sd

Charles Bronson the actor died in 2003.

The State of Florida restored full funding to the CCW licensing branch and hired some part-time employees to get rid of the backlog. I recently got a renewal back in 10 days.

NRA Life Member
Old December 6, 2009, 07:37 AM   #6
traumac

Noob gets permit fast

Had no idea what I was doing. I hate bureaucracy, don't get the lingo or approach. Filed by mail, my own photo from Costco, fingerprints on paper. Tried to go to the local office; three week wait. Got my permit back in about three weeks after mailing. Nice.
Old December 9, 2009, 12:09 AM   #7
jg0001

My understanding from talking to someone more in the loop is that Florida hired a large # of people to plow through the mountain of paperwork and it's been going very quickly as of late. You have to figure that Florida isn't stupid and getting $100+ for each of these applications is good business.