The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 9, 2010, 11:05 PM   #1
miykael

Lothar Walther Ultra-Lightweight Barrel

Anybody have this barrel? How much lighter is it and do you like it? I was thinking of replacing the barrel on my Savage 10FP LE .308 with something I can use for hunting and target shooting. My heavy barrel is way too much to freehold so I would need to hunt with the bipod. A very heavy setup with my 5-15 scope, bipod, sling, and heavy barrel.

I think the lothar walther site said the barrel is half the weight or something. Reason for this is cost savings. I don't have the money to spend on everything I would like and I don't compete yet. Thanks.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/396.php
Old February 10, 2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Scorch

These are a relatively new product. I would give it a try. Sleeved barrels are nothing new, the sleeve helps with weight and vibration. Lothar Walther barrels are very good, and this one comes already chambered, threaded, and crowned. What have you got to lose?
Old February 10, 2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Going to the website, the barrel is $289 plus shipping, at a minimum. Seems to me that it might be more cost effective to find a good used sporting rifle for hunting, and if money is indeed a consideration, just move the scope from one to the other.
Old February 23, 2010, 05:46 PM   #4
tolson68

I just talked to LW today. The ultra light barrels are around $750. I've heard that the ABS barrels can go for around $1,000 so it is a bit cheaper. If this is just for hunting I will go +1 for a normal sporter contour barrel. You might be able to find one used for cheap.