The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 9, 2009, 09:14 AM   #1
GP100man

Cheap lead remover

choreboy wrapped around ole brush , keep bore & cyl soaked with favorite solvent:

prroblem s with pics

Last edited by GP100man; September 9, 2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old September 9, 2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

It's a good method, and some feel it conforms to the surface of the bore better than the Hoppes and Lewis Lead Remover bronze cloth patches. Running a patch wet with Kroil or other favorite penetrating liquid (I like Sprinco Plate+ Green for this purpose) and allowing it to sit for a day before the cleaning tends to help it come out even more easily. The only thing is to be sure you use a genuine Chore Boy or another 100% copper scrubber. Many are just copper washed steel, which can scuff up a bore. Just use a magnet to make sure you didn't get the wrong one. Midway used to sell a white metal scrubber pad made of some kind of soft white metal that is designed specifically for the purpose of lead removal. Expensive compared to Chore Boy's though. $5, I think, last time they still had it. I remember buying one to try at a gun show about 20 years ago. Even though Midway doesn't seem to have them any longer, I'm sure somebody does.

I prefer just not to get leading in the first place. I have become a fan of making sure my revolver throats are big enough and also of firelapping.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; September 9, 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old September 15, 2009, 06:58 AM   #3
GP100man

yep been shootin & scrubbin lead for a while , got loads , guns that don`t lead a bit & clean only after soot build up but whats the fun of that , handloaders have to "experiment" rite!!!

Last edited by GP100man; October 28, 2009 at 04:23 PM.