The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 31, 1999, 04:56 PM   #1
TDB4

I HAVE A SPRINGFIELD M-1 GARAND THAT BENDS THE CASE RIMS EVERY TIME IT EJECTS AN EMPTY CASE. NOT THE CASE NECK NOT THE MOUTH JUST THE RIMS. I CAN'T RELOAD CASE'S WITH BENT RIMS. I'VE TRIED MLIATARY SURPLUS AMMO, COMERCIAL AMMO AND HAND LOADED TO MILATARY SPECIFICATION AMMO, AND THE GAS ROD OR PISTON IS NOT BROKE OR BENT.
THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

------------------
Old July 31, 1999, 05:53 PM   #2
Paul B.

Not too familiar with M-1's but I wonder what condition your chamber is in? A slightly pitted chamber, say by slight rusting at sometime in it's history, could be causing some drag on the casing during extraction. Even a dirty chamber might be the cause. That's why there is a special chamber brush for the M-16/AR-15. Just a passing thought.
Paul B.
Old July 31, 1999, 08:10 PM   #3
Destructo6

I had a similar problem with my FAL. The case rim was bent backwards where the extractor claw engages it. Luckily, the FAL has an adjustable gas system, so when I turned it down a few notches it went away.

I have no idea how to regulate the gas in a M1-Garand.
Old July 31, 1999, 10:02 PM   #4
Jim V

There is no way to regulate the gas flow on the Garand, without replacing either the entire gas system and/or the barrel. As far as I know, that is.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Old August 1, 1999, 05:55 PM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

TDB4, without actually inspecting the rifle I'd have to guess the Paul is pretty close on his diagnosis. George
Old August 1, 1999, 08:20 PM   #6
TDB4

OK GUYS THANKS; GUESS I'LL GET THE BORE LIGHT OUT AND TRY TO SEE IN THE CHAMBER!
OR IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE A MOLD OF THE CHAMBER WITHOUT MAKEING A MESS?

------------------
Old August 1, 1999, 08:58 PM   #7
Jim V

TDB4, Please don't SHOUT. It makes it hard to read the posting. Thanks
Old August 1, 1999, 11:35 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

You can buy cerrosafe from Brownells. For a funnel, you can cut and hammer a tin can to a chute type shape which will serve to guide the heated cerrosafe into the chamber. Don't forget to plug the chamber so it doesn't run into the bore!

Jim V's comment reflects computer etiquette where exclusive usage of UPPERCASE characters is considered as the equivalent of shouting.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old August 2, 1999, 02:06 AM   #9
Mal H
Staff

Jim and Gary, I almost sent the same message about using all caps a while back, but then I recalled that TDB4 is a handicapped shooter. Since we don't know the extent of his handicap, I thought we should let it be this time. Also, it's obvious that he knows his way around the net, so he probably knows about the netiquette. I used to work for a computer company that supplied computers with attributes a lot more friendly to users who had difficulty with keyboards. The users usually found that using all caps was much easier. I started to send this via email, but then I thought maybe this should be stated in public. If I have butted in where I shouldn't have, I sincerely apologize.
Old August 2, 1999, 04:03 PM   #10
TDB4

Thanks Gary I'll try that.
And thank you MAL H, Man you hit the nail right on the head, It took me an hour to write this!

------------------
STRIVE FOR 1 SHOT 1 KILL!