The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2002, 12:38 PM   #1
mcrog

38 Spl. Question.?

IM WORKING UP A LOAD TO TRY OUT OF MY NEW GP-100 BUT THE BOOK FOR V.V. POWDER DOESN'T COVER THE BULLET IM USING BUT ITS CLOSE HERES MY LOAD AS BY THE BOOK V.V. N350 BEHIND A 148GR. LWCHB SEATED TO 1.180.
THE BOOK ONLY SHOWS A LWC BULLET AND NO INFO FOR THE HOLLOW BACK BULLETS IM USING.DO I HAVE ANY REASON TO BE CONCERENED HERE?
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT
REGARDS MC
Old December 1, 2002, 04:01 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Two points, mcrog - - -

1. Sorry, but I have no experience with VV powders, but I'm sure someone will come up with some info for you.

2. Loads for 148 LWC and 148 HBWC bullets may be used interchangably. They are normally fired with light to very light charges, for target shooting or gentle target practice. The hollow base simply allows the bullet to "slug out" and fill the bore well, especially at low velocities.

3. Please, find your keyboard Caps Lock and release it. ALL CAPITAL LETTERS IN A POST HAS THE SAME EFFECT AS SHOUTING AT PEOPLE! See what I mean?

Best regards,
Johnny
Old December 1, 2002, 04:59 PM   #3
mcrog

.38spl.

Thanks for the input. And I have changed caps lock.Just returened from the range and the rounds shot fine fairly soft and very accurate,2" group with Dbl.action even. No crono so have know Idea of the Fps. This load goes in the book as a very accurate load. ( look out tree rats) this is a keeper!
Old December 2, 2002, 03:29 AM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Excellent!

The velocity doesn't really matter with that kind of load. So long as the bullet gets to the target, and stabilizes well enough to get that kinf of accuracy, what matters the speed of a WC bullet?

What length barrel on your GP100?

Best,
Johnny
Old December 2, 2002, 07:17 AM   #5
Tree Rat

mcrog.........Interesting your choice of N350 for this application. Thev V V data I have lists 3.9 - 4.3 grains for a 148 Sako LWC. I believe that particular bullet is a bevel base.

Normally fast powders are used for this application (I use Titegroup). I'm shooting about 2" groups as well.............

TR