The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 13, 2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Beentown71

Caniks...tell me about your experience.

I am thinking about purchasing this pistol for a range gun and to possibly use in a few matches:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411552799

I am contemplating getting one of these Caniks, EAA Witness Match or something along these lines. I would get the original CZ Shadow but the price discrepancy makes the others look enticing.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old May 13, 2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Kevin_d77

Curious as well.
Old May 13, 2013, 04:18 PM   #3
tekarra

I have the Canik C100 and it has been totally reliable and accurate.
Old May 13, 2013, 04:19 PM   #4
thedudeabides

I have the C100 CZ clone. For 300 bucks it's pretty solid.

Haven't had a problem with the few thousand rounds I put thru it.
Old May 13, 2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Dan-O

It annoys me that Buds is selling them for at, if not close to MSRP. Academy sells one that is about $330, which seems in line to me. $440ish for a Canik seems high when a CZ75b is only right at around $500
Old May 13, 2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Beentown71

Re: Caniks...tell me about your experience.

Thanks. The particular one I am looking at looks like a great value compared to the features. Wish I knew what the trigger pull was like.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:45 PM   #7
meanmachine1961

I recently purchased a Sar Arms B6P which is a CZ75 clone with a polymer frame. Have been very pleased with the pistol. Fit and finish is better than a lot of CZs I have seen. For $300.00 out the door it would be hard to beat it.
Local LGS has a TriStar Canik 55 for $400.00 new. It seems to be a well made gun but the finish on the Sar Arms is better in my opinion.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:52 AM   #8
myusername

I agree regarding price. BUT the Canik Shark with the ported barrel is sooo cool!

We have two! Well almost two. My GF bought one not long ago, she wanted a 9mm without much recoil and it seemed to have promise. The gun is a dream! We were both banging mostly the same hole at 50-75 feet. It is definitely more accurate than either of us.

I liked it so much I ordered a chrome finish one about two weeks ago when they came into stock.

And then my mini-nightmare began. Sigh.

My new Canik Shark arrived a few days later, whatever some people say Bud's has always shipped promptly for me. The guns finish was perfect! A work of art. Everything cycled. I LOVED it!

Then, wait a minute, "What's wrong with the end of the frame? That looks odd."

The frame was sticking out about 1/16 of an inch past the slide in front. And the slide fit in back was off too. We stripped the gun thinking it was something hanging the slide up from going all the way forward. Everything looked right, no burrs or odd hunks of metal. But the slide and frame would NOT even out at the barrel end.

It's like either the slide is cut short or the frame slightly long. At any rate it looks WEIRD! IMHO it should not have left the factory looking like that. It's not like some slides not quite fitting flush at the hammer end, this thing looks like a couple of forks sticking out the front of the gun. I'm not even sure it could holster without getting hung up.

So I sent it back. I am currently waiting for the replacement.

Bud's has been very responsive so far. They emailed me a return label the next day (I messaged them at night) and I shipped it back Friday. They got the gun today, so I'm assuming the replacement will ship tomorrow or Wednesday (or they will be getting another call ).

Be aware that Bud's offers a "Davidson's" like unconditional guaranty on the Caniks. They will replace, repair or refund any gun you are not 100% happy with. And so far they have stood by their policy with me with no issues.

I have seen 5 other Caniks locally and ALL the rest have been visually PERFECT - and $150 more than Buds! Seriously, one shop is getting $600 for the blued ones! I think my experience with the machining was just a fluke. I hope so.

I'm not sure what will happen parts wise down the road, but I understand CZ 75 mags fit the Shark and some internal parts are the same.

I've heard of customer service issues with EAA, and you can't buy either an EAA or a CZ with a cool ported barrel! I'll let you know how my new one shoots when I finally get to use it!
Old May 14, 2013, 02:13 AM   #9

I have a Tristar T-120. Looks just like the Jericho I sold bout 2 years ago. D/A pull is about 20 lbs, S/A pull much better but it's no 5906. Quality is quite good better than expected. Anybody swap out the main spring in one of these Guns?
Old May 14, 2013, 02:57 AM   #10
lmccrock

Quote:
I am thinking about purchasing this pistol for a range gun and to possibly use in a few matches
Careful. The one in the link is ported so either not allowed or will put you in a division where it is not competitive.

That said, this one is not ported and has higher capacity.
Old May 14, 2013, 06:41 AM   #11
Shad4532

Canik 55

I bought the Canik 55 (S-120) and the SAR B6P...liked them so much that I sold my CZ 75BD....these Turks can build some nice guns.....
Old May 14, 2013, 07:54 AM   #12
guncheese

i dont have a cz-75 type one yet (i wont call them clones as they are better than that)
but i do have the Canik55 TP-9 and just yesterday rattled of another 200 rounds
without a single issue, it shoots better than i do
i have been thinking of a Shark FC as well (looked at one at a show DROOL)
at least Canik doesnt use what appears to be tractor enamel for a finish like CZ seems to
Canik55 , Sarsilmaz, Tisas all make quality arms
in fact my 2nd one is on layaway from Tisas
Old May 14, 2013, 02:08 PM   #13
papershoot

Canik Pistols

I started looking for a CZ75 last fall, but was put off by lack of guns in stock and the rising prices. I had read about the Turkish guns made by Canik which people were very happy with. I found my local Academy sports was selling the Tristar (Canik) C-100 for $350. When it went on sale for $300, I bought one. It closely resembles a CZ P-01. It is very accurate and well made. The DA trigger is heavy, but the S/A trigger is sweet. They let me dry fire it in the store and the S/A trigger sold me. I liked it so much, I recently bought it's big brother, the S-120 for $350. This is a close match to a CZ 75B. These guns are both black with a safety and no decocker. Academy also is selling a black Tristar T-100. Academy does not have online sales and won't transfer guns from store to store for you. They are located mostly in the South. Yesterday, my local Academy had all three models, but the website has just stopped showing all 3 models and only the C-100 remains.

I don't shoot competitively, but the C-100 has made me a much better pistol shot. I am still breaking in the S-120, but it seems to be a great gun as well. I think these are world class weapons which are currently undervalued because they are made in Turkey, by a manufacturer that is not a household name. There is a lot of information on the CZ forum "czfirearms.us" clone club section concerning the Caniks, Tanfoglio, and other "clones" of the CZ75. Some of the discussions there involve people active in IDPA, gunsmithing, and custom upgrades of Caniks. You may want to take the time to read through them.
Old May 14, 2013, 05:15 PM   #14
tekarra

The C100 more closely resembles the cZ 75 Compact rather than the P01. Here is the cZ 75 Compact next to a C100.

Old May 14, 2013, 05:27 PM   #15
lamarw

For almost a hundred bucks less, you can buy a Beretta 92 here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=341905178
Old May 14, 2013, 05:37 PM   #16
Dan-O

Good to hear about Academy carrying a few of the models, and not just the compact. They are opening up 2 stores on the Kansas side of KC this summer/fall. I'll gladly pay $300 for a Canik.

Last edited by Dan-O; May 14, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old May 14, 2013, 06:26 PM   #17
Beentown71

Re: Caniks...tell me about your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarw View Post

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=341905178
Have one and like it well enough. I want something a little smaller in grip profile. Plus, my Beretta is the least accurate pistol of all my others. Still good but not excellent. Maybe it is just me?
Old May 14, 2013, 07:53 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

Quote:
And for a lot less you can but a Hi-Point! What's the point? Neither are a clone, or close copy of a CZ 75 like is being discussed.
I've got a 92fs. Great gun. Now I want a CZ75b, but that Canik looks pretty good, and is available, and affordable!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 14, 2013, 08:10 PM   #19
lamarw

You are correct Cheapshooter. I am out of line with my post and you have my appology.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:30 PM   #20
viciouskitty

I got a C-100 for 250 a while back its been a great gun, it really surprised me. The quality is apparent just by holding the gun in your hands, my only gripe is the double action is a little stiff not smooth like on my SP01 but on the other hand that gun cost me 600. I've had no malfunctions shooting mostly reloads thru it for about 400 rounds so far.
Old May 15, 2013, 12:54 AM   #21

Anyone else have the same Horrid D/A trigger Pull on their Canik? Mine is so heavy its laughable.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:43 AM   #22
myusername

UPDATE on my Canik: Got my tracking number from Bud's today and the replacement should be here Thursday! I have to say they have stood by this completely and taken very prompt action to assist me all through the process.

I'll post more when the new gun arrives. I hope the trigger is better than the poster above mentioned. But then that's what dremel tools and sandpaper were made for. I don't recall the trigger on my GF's Shark being poor, but I didn't get to shoot but a couple of mags before she took it away from me and told me to go buy my own.
Old May 15, 2013, 02:07 AM   #23
Dan-O

If I were to buy one I think I'd have to swap out the hammer spring with a Wolff 16#er. Been researching on the CZ forums and it sounds as though folks are having good luck with the 16# and still getting positive ignitions on primers.
Old May 15, 2013, 08:43 AM   #24
Pilot

I no longer consider "Buds" a discount gun shop. They are now, on average, $100 more per pistol than my local gun shops. Very disappointing, and I will not buy from them.
Old May 15, 2013, 04:22 PM   #25
Walter

I bought the C100 from Academy a couple of weeks ago for 329 (+TT&L).
Haven't shot it yet, just haven't had time to get out to the range. Like everybody else has said, the double-action trigger is horrible. It really is probably 20 pounds. But the single action is nice, maybe 5, 5.5 pounds, and pretty smooth.

The one thing I'm not crazy about is the grip panels. They are hard plastic, with light impressed checkering, and way too slick for my taste. I'll wait until I can run a few hundred rounds through it, though, before I make any changes on the grips. If I can find any ammunition to shoot. I can't even find a set of 9 Luger reloading dies for sale anywhere. Times are tough all over, I guess.