The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 6, 2009, 09:54 PM   #1
musicmatty

Pic of my Wife shooting her first Model 120

A very nice and smooth 12 guage pump that gave us both a bruise last Sunday. Hopefully, I can put some pheasent in the freezer this winter for some stew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maryshootingpic2.jpg (194.4 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg Maryshooting.jpg (108.2 KB, 732 views)
Old October 6, 2009, 10:18 PM   #2
TangoMcBlasty

Nice gun but where is your laser sight, ACOG scope, night vision optics, tactical light, side saddle, and door breeching muzzle? And why does your polymer stock look like a piece of wood? More importantly, why is your wife not wearing a MOLLE vest and cargo pants?

Haha... I kid... Nice to see the whole family involved with the shooting sports.
Old October 6, 2009, 10:34 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, you just made my night.

A couple things....

I've taught several hundred people to shoot shotguns. Your Spouse will do better leaning into the shot a bit more. She's trying to balance all that weight out front by tipping back a bit. More practice using proper form will help her both in effectiveness and comfort.

The stock looks a bit long for her also. Taking off an inch or so and fitting a premium pad will work wonders.

And, this is the place for ultra light loads. 7/8 oz target loads are nigh optimum.
Old October 7, 2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Lee Lapin

Dave knows whereof he speaks.

Also, I note that the forearm is too short, and so she has to over-extend her support arm in order to reach it. As well, her gun mount is too low- the butt is well down on her pectoral muscle and not in the 'pocket' of her shoulder where it should be. This is also preventing her from obtaining a proper cheek weld on the stock. A primary advantage of the long gun is that it gives you FOUR points of contact- shooting hand, shoulder, cheek, and support hand. That makes it much easier to use effectively.

My own wife is about 5'4" and i've been through the above issues re. gun fit with her as well. A properly fitted stock, a premium recoil pad, a long forearm, a good gun mount and good form will go a long way toward making shooting a shotgun painless, and make hitting with one much easier. Oh yes- and shoot light loads for training, too.

hth,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old October 7, 2009, 01:07 PM   #5
oneounceload

Besides all of the above, her head needs to be ON the stock - stock looks too long. Holding the forearm out like that isn't necessarily a bad thing - it is something taught at British shooting schools on SxS, but she should probably change the manner in which she is gripping it to have her left index finger in more of a pointing mode and her hand a little more on the side of the slide - she'll still work the slide, and her hand will act as natural pointer to guide her shot
Old October 7, 2009, 01:27 PM   #6
musicmatty

She and I, both will get a work out this weekend shooting clay disc for practice and of course..for plain O'l fun. She is somewhat hesitant putting her head on the stock because of the kick....She's getting there little by little.

She kept shooting several feet high above the targets up into the tree branches that were hangin just obove our targets..I had to laugh my arse off.
Old October 7, 2009, 01:45 PM   #7
oneounceload

Without her head on the stock, she will have a hard time hitting ANYTHING and the recoil will start to give her issues. Stock fit is critical, especially for folks who are recoil sensitive. IMO, a lesson or two and a a proper-fitting stock will have her grabbing the gun and shooting a lot more - and with more success......
Old October 7, 2009, 03:20 PM   #8
musicmatty

She is gonna have to make do with the O'l model 120...as I will be the primary shooter and I am not looking to change anything with it. In time she will settle in I am sure. She has my 30. carbine from WW11 that my father gave me many years ago before he passed..he brought it home from the War with him. She likes shooting that little carbine which has no kick compared to the Win 120 Ranger.
Old October 7, 2009, 03:28 PM   #9
MLeake

In that case, the thread title is misleading...

... as it should have been, "Pic of my Wife shooting my Model 120 for the first time."

If she does decide she wants one of her own, then the advice given by others in the thread would be good to follow with regard to length of pull, etc.
Old October 7, 2009, 03:34 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Well, bud, I hope this don't rub you wrong...
If you are already a "shooter" than it is extremely selfish to expect her to get used to it. You could more easily handle a shorter stock and longer fore end than her the opposite. She is instilling extremely bad form that will be hard to get away from once she has a better fitting gun.
I would not want her shooting with bad form if she were my bride...
Brent
Old October 7, 2009, 04:45 PM   #11
oneounceload

Quote:
If you are already a "shooter" than it is extremely selfish to expect her to get used to it.
Spot on Hogdogs.......

OP - it is really hard to UNDO learned bad habits. Worse, she might decide not to bother with a shotgun at all - if you want a shooting companion, as well as someone who is not afraid to use that thing in the event of a "situation", then get her one of her own that fits HER, shorten the stock, or don't let her shoot it
Old October 7, 2009, 05:01 PM   #12
Hkmp5sd

If recoil is a problem, might I suggest one of these:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Com...k,1155,165.htm

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Hkmp5sd; October 7, 2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old October 7, 2009, 06:43 PM   #13
Double Naught Spy

Well, bud, I hope this don't rub you wrong...
If you are already a "shooter" than trying to get her to shoot a shotgun that doesn't fit her isn't doing much to help her become a shooter. It is like being forced to learn to ride the wrong size of bicycle.

She should have safety glasses as well.
Old October 7, 2009, 08:18 PM   #14
Lee Lapin

Matty,

It's a lot easier to shoot a 'too short' stock than a 'too long' one. And a lot less painful, as long as a taller person shooting a short stock remembers not to fold the shooting hand thumb around the top of the pistol grip but instead keeps it parked over on the trigger finger knuckle.

If you want a real shotgunning partner you'll arrange to make some adjustments on your wife's behalf. I see Winchester 120s/1200s marked as Sears/Ted Williams Model 200s get sold for $100 from time to time. They have wooden furniture, and usually a forearm that comes back to the front of the receiver even when the action is closed. One of those might make a good 'base gun' for a little custom fitting for your wife.

Take a look at http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=142271961 for one example. This one's priced higher than a C note but it's the same basic gun I've seen sold- and have bought myself- for that little before, and recently at that.

Getting bruised is no fun, and few people are really masochists...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old October 7, 2009, 08:23 PM   #15
mr kablammo

Be sure to investment in shooting vests, your shoulders will thank you many times over.
Old October 7, 2009, 08:28 PM   #16
jgcoastie

Personally, I would suggest getting her a shotgun that fits her, or one that very closely fits her and you make the proper adjustments for her fit...

I would also start her out on a 20ga if she is recoil sensitive... My neighbor recently introduced his wife to shotgunning with a Remington 870 20ga and replaced the factory stock with one of those fancy Knoxx recoil-reducing stocks. It essentially has zero recoil and she loves shooting it. I'm not saying you have to go out and spend a lot of $$$, but if you want her to be a lifelong shooting partner, it would be worthwhile to spend a few hundred bucks and get her something she enjoys, or she likely won't be shooting with you much longer...

Mama ain't gonna like shooting for long with a black-n-blue shoulder...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old October 7, 2009, 10:44 PM   #17
mrghostwalker

What shotgun? I don't see a shotgun?

Good for you! I have a hard enough time getting mine to shot handguns-a shotgun would make her run and hide! LOL
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
Old October 8, 2009, 06:04 AM   #18
musicmatty

Thanks everyone for the sugestions and advice. She enjoyed herself and had a good time, she enjoys beading and making jewelry..thats her passion. If she wants to continue with shooting, I will certainly get her something that fits and suits her to a [B]T[/.B]

As I said, she has my M1 carbine that she likes to target shoot with and that fits her very well.

Thanks everyone for sounding off and giving great advice for down the road consideration.
Old October 8, 2009, 06:47 AM   #19
DiscoRacing

It looked to me as tho she wasnt holding the back of the stock on her shoulder high enough.. and is having to tip her neck more because of that and lower her head to the rifle. It looks to be more resting near the arm pit rather than the shoulder.... just my .02
Old October 8, 2009, 12:42 PM   #20
Scorch

A few things:
1- Your wife needs to mount the gun properly if she ever intends to walk away without bruises. The butt goes high in the "pocket" formed by raising the right elbow. Her face should meet the stock when she does this, and it will get the buttstock off her biceps.
2- Your wife needs to move her left hand back, closer to the balance point of the shotgun. That way she will not need to lean back, and can actually lean into the shotgun.
3- Your wife is pointing the shotgun straight forward, it should actually be at about a 45 degree angle to her body.

Yes, the stock is too long, and yes the gun is heavy, but using poor form when shooting will hurt more than using good form.
Old October 9, 2009, 04:06 AM   #21
musicmatty

Scortch, I fully agree...I will be working with her this weekend on proper form and tecnique. I tried a bit the first time to show her some things..but when it became more instruction for her..she started not to enjoy herself so much, so I backed off.

If you see from the other picture posted, she is leaning into the gun much better...takes time but she will get there..but I don't want to be over bearing about it..some women don't take well to tactics and training.
Old October 9, 2009, 08:16 AM   #22
Edward429451

Quote:
She is somewhat hesitant putting her head on the stock because of the kick....She's getting there little by little.
The Blackhawk cheekpad/ammo sleeve that I bought for my SG is high quality and the wonderful cheekpad really makes the cheek comfortable during firing. Highly recommended.

I had to look real close to see the SG also!
Old October 9, 2009, 11:19 AM   #23
oneounceload

Don't take this the wrong way - but maybe you need to have a third party do the instructing, especially someone who is a certified instructor - wives and GF's tend to listen to that person more, and will pick it up faster and better - NOT saying you aren't qualified, it's that third party thing