The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 20, 2007, 11:42 PM   #1
Big Caliber

The Prime(r) Directive

My shootin' partner & I have been working up test loads for a pair of .308 "tactical" Savages. I've always used Winchester WLR's with great success. We wondered if anybody out there ever had a pet rifle load and changed only the brand of primer used. I once tried some CCI BR2 benchrest primers but noticed no change in target pattern. My buddy wants to try Federal primers with his recipes. Do you suppose we'll see much of a difference? We test at 100yds. but want to push out to 300-600+yds.
Old October 21, 2007, 01:17 PM   #2
Shoney

Over the years, I have experience changes in load performance with changes in primer brand in several different weapons I have loaded. I have also had many load/weapon combinations that had no effect by changing primer brands, It seems to be the old rule, Each weapon is an entity unto itself.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old October 21, 2007, 01:49 PM   #3
hhrgprez

primer change

Don't forget to go back to starting load data! Especially if you are close to maximun charge!!
Old October 21, 2007, 10:02 PM   #4
Linear Thinker

My rule of thumb - Win LRPs are equivalent to Fed 215s. So, if your partner switches to Fed 210s, there may be a slight decrease in velocity. You won't see it at 100 yards, but probably will at 600. Definitely at 900, when .308 turns subsonic.

Usual precautions apply - if you want consistency, you must eliminate the variables. One rifle, one bullet, one brass make, sorted by weight, trimmed to same length, one primer type, one powder charge, one lot of powder, one COL, one crimp type.
LT
Old October 22, 2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Big Caliber

All are very valid points. I'll mention the velocity change to my friend. He'll probably want to chrony the loads. I rarely do max loads, but always start over with any component change.
Old October 22, 2007, 08:26 PM   #6
Wildalaska

http://www.castingstuff.com/primer_t..._reference.htm

Just google primer brisance

WildsparkysparkyAlaska ™