The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 1999, 05:36 PM   #1
jdthaddeus

Pump shotguns seem to be very popular.
I have had trouble with mine, so I am not overly impressed.

For defense, would it not make sense to get a semi-auto shotgun?

Why is the semi-auto shotgun not more popular?

I am looking for a defensive shotgun, but have trouble finding a semi-auto shotty, and even get funny looks when I ask about them for defensive purposes. Seems to make sense to me that a semi would be better for the purpose.

So, why is the pump so popular and the semi not?

thanks
Old December 22, 1999, 07:59 PM   #2
Spyderman

This should probably be in the shotgun forum, but I'll take a stab at it anyway... The pump guns make great HD pieces because they typically provide more reliability, are less finicky eaters, and should you experience a jam or misfire, it's much easier to clear and take another shot. They put up with a lot of abuse, and have fewer parts to break or malfunction. They also require less maintenance to keep them operating correctly. Should you ever need to actually use it in a HD situation, the lower price (typically) will help lessen the sting of the police confiscating it as evidence. With all of that said, however, Benelli makes some awesome "tactical" (in 'civillian' that translates to Home Defence/Urban Unrest) semi auto shotguns. Just check out the M1 Super 90 or the M1-M Tactical. They dont rely on a gas system and will digest just about anything. The biggest downside is the $700-$1200 price tag (which makes it that much worse should it become 'evidence') For the most part, it boils down to personal preference. I am surprised that you've had problems with your pump gun that were bad enough to make it 'unreliable' for HD use. Most of the good current/recent manufacture pumps are nothing but dependable when properly fed and cared for. Hope this helps... Happy hunting.
-Spyderman
Old December 23, 1999, 12:30 AM   #3
Bob Locke

If you're talking about defending your home against an intruder, the pump action shotgun makes that unmistakeable sound when you slam the round home, and will usually be followed closely by another sound: the intruder heading out of whatever hole he can find!

I believe that the arguments for pump shotguns would be the same as for the revolver in the revolver vs. auto-loader for handguns. Fewer moving parts, almost nothing to break or malfunction, etc., etc.
Old December 23, 1999, 12:55 AM   #4
PATH

Go pump. use 2 3/4 shells as they cycle faster. See if you can pick up an old police model Ithaca....pull the trigger and hold....
every time you pump the shotgun will fire!
In any case for HD the pump wins hands down.
I start out with a 00 load in my twelve ga and then alternate with slugs.
Old December 23, 1999, 10:28 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The funny looks you mentioned stem from your mistake of living in southern Kalifornia...

, Art
Old December 23, 1999, 11:16 AM   #6
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Moved to Shotgun forum

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Old December 24, 1999, 06:30 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Back in my younger days I could hit 5 silohuette targets in 5 seconds traverse firing from 15 yards with an 870. Maybe I still could.Probably you could too.

Pumps, especially the excellent JM Browning designs like the 870, Winchester 12 and 97, and the Ithaca 37,etc, are superior to just about everything else for HD for someone who practices regularly and likes shooting the things.

You didn't say,but my guess is the pump giving you trouble is of another make and design than the ones I mention. Get a good one and a passel of ammo, have fun and become proficient all at the same time.