The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 9, 2001, 09:42 PM   #1
-dave

Got my first shotgun yesterday!

Been thinking about this for awhile, and ben reading this forum to help me make a good decision.

A good deal (I think) dropped into my lap. A "fiend of a friend" thought he might be able to build me something close to what I had put on my shopping list when the funds were available; an 870 Marine Magnum. I wanted a low maintenance house gun.

Turns out this guy deals in parts, and had everything needed to build a Mossberg 590 Marine Coat for me. He still had some Mil Spec receivers to start with. This one has a serial number starting with U.S.A0xxxx.

The barrel looks more like a stainless bbl than a marine coated one, and also does not appear to be extra thick like I have read here that the military 590s do. I had wanted an 18.5" bbl, but all he had was a 20" with an 8 shot tube. I can live with that

In any case he charged me $300, and a short NICS phone call later, & I had my new baby!

I stopped on the way home & got a box of Winchester 2 3/4" #8 shot shells. I feel the need for cordite inhallation therapy tomorrow.

It's been years since I fired a shotgun, and thought this would be a good shell to get familiar with my new weapon with. I think I'll eventually use something closer to a #4 shot, but I'll start here.

You guys are an excellent source of good information, and helped me a lot with my research prior to making up my mind.

Thanks much!

-dave
Old June 10, 2001, 02:30 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Enjoy, Dave, you've got a lot of fun ahead of you.

Right from the start, work on your form and make sure the stock fits. Use lower recoil shells until you get habituated, and keep on shooting!!
Old June 11, 2001, 01:23 PM   #3
Ledbetter

That sounds pretty sweet

Be safe and have fun. Sounds like a beauty.
Old June 11, 2001, 03:23 PM   #4
-dave

Dave McC & Ledbetter,

Thanks for the comments.

I must admit, shotguns require a much different mindset than what I've been shooting lately.

I've been working on getting sub 1 " groups at 300 yards with my Remington 700 PSS, and there's a lot of breath & trigger control, along with a consistent sight picture; very delicate kind of stuff making five .308 holes as close together as possible.

Also my pistol work with a lot of (but different kind of) trigger & breath control & front site visualization.

Then I take this 590 out, slap up a target at 10 yards, and the result is anything but subtle!

Boy is there a lot to learn here...

-dave
Old June 11, 2001, 04:23 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Been known to coax some sub inch groups out of a Stainless Synthetic Mountain rifle, and there were some great groups in calibers from 6 mm Remington to 45-70 in my past.

I like the contrast, benchrest is logic, shotgunning is feeling....

Think about a trap target getting ready to fly. I'm in the position, after taking a deep breath or two to oxygenate my muscles. I've noted the beads are nicely "Figure 8'd" and moved my focus out to the air in fornt of the traphouse just above the roof.I give the grunt that's my version of "Pull!" and as soon as the bird's visible, I'm in motion, some basic calculations occuring as fast as my mind can do them. W/o volition, the guns goes off and the target busts(sometimes).

That's feel, not doping the wind flags and trying to insert a bullet right where the one before it went.Benchrest is good classical music, shotgunning is Santana.....
Old June 13, 2001, 04:51 PM   #6
Rainbow Six

Quote:
Benchrest is good classical music, shotgunning is Santana.....
That's a great quote... I love it!

R6

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper
Old June 13, 2001, 08:13 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, kinda like it myself(G)....