The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 8, 2014, 10:35 AM   #1
psalm7

Rem 700 snipers

I shoot a Rem 700 XCR Tactical in .300 WinMag and its a great rifle . When I found a Rem 700 SPS in .300 AAC I bought it on the spot and it is a very accurate rifle as well . I read several comments on the web about ejection problems . The only problem I noticed is If you don't work the bolt like you mean it the empty case will just clear the reciever or even stay in the ejection port wich does not bother me because I usually work the bolt slow and manualy remove them . The new Remington trigger is nice when they came out with the "safer" ones a few years ago I thought it was over for the standard 700 trigger but I think they worked the buggs out on this one .
Old March 8, 2014, 12:52 PM   #2
JD0x0

Quote:
The only problem I noticed is If you don't work the bolt like you mean it the empty case will just clear the reciever or even stay in the ejection port wich does not bother me because I usually work the bolt slow and manualy remove them .
My Ruger does the same thing if you don't work the action hard/fast enough. Not a big deal, as it's way easier to open the bolt slowly and get the brass yourself, rather than looking around to wherever it flew off to.
Old March 8, 2014, 01:36 PM   #3
Sierra280

Hmm, never heard this before. My last 700 I bought (sps varmint 308) has an awesome ejector. Even if I work the bolt as slowly as possible, it will toss the empty case a couple of feet; working the bolt hard and fast, it will nearly hit the guy at the next bench over! The old BDL 3006 I had wasn't quite as strong, but never did what you are describing. I did initially have a problem reliably feed cartridges from the left side of the stack, but a little flitz on the rough metal edge fixed that right up.

BTW, '700 snipers' is a very poor wording. Do you mean rem700 sniper rifles? Or snipers who use 700's? Either way many people will have issue with your incorrect use of terms. Just fair warning before the flames start...
Old March 8, 2014, 04:08 PM   #4
psalm7

I have only fired 10 shots from this rifle so far it shold losen up on its on . Great litle rifle otherwise . 6 shots to zero then a 4 shot group at 100 yards I could cover with a nickel . I will watch my wording . I was refering to the rifles as they are Tactical models . Thanks for the warning , do not see any offense in the wording either way I will chose statments better but I'm not good at walking on egg shells .