The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old September 11, 2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

Going to visit New York...CCW?

First time ever, I'm going to New York City with the girlfriend. I do not know anything about their gun laws except that they're strict and have a possible non-issue for gun owners.

New city, people, place. Mainly on foot...I feel uneasy with the 99% chance that I will not be able to carry my gun on me. I'd love to bring my Glock 27 along.

Is there anything I can do? Substitute? Etc...or just suck it up and live as an unarmed citizen for a couple days in a strange city and state?

I'm leaving October 20-24 this year.

SA 1911 - XD45 - G21sf - G22 - G27 - Hk USP 40 - SIG P226 E2 - Browning High-Power - S&W M19-3 - CZ-82 - Remington 870
Old September 11, 2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Don H

It is not legal for you to bring your handgun to New York State, let alone NYC.
Old September 11, 2011, 05:18 PM   #3
2damnold4this

You're out of luck.
Old September 11, 2011, 05:22 PM   #4
roberto mervicini

Hello Constantine,
I am a Canadian, since 1975 I am been in N.Y city many many time, for work at one time every mont for 3 or 4 days, and later once a year for pleasure and shopping...the wife love that. I fly in many time but also drive in.
I do not recomend driving in the city, leave the car in a lot and commute by taxi, I never felt in danger but always go from A to B by taxi in the evening.
During the day no problem to walk.
N.York is a great city, lot to see, good restaurant, and great to shop, Canal street in lower Manhattan, Mulberry street in little Italy, and famous 5th ave.
Enjoy the trip.
_______
roberto
Old September 11, 2011, 05:34 PM   #5
oneounceload

No weapons, sprays, knives, etc., or you'll go to jail

It has been cleaned up a LOT since I grew up there as a kid decades ago. As mentioned above, enjoy your visit
Old September 11, 2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

Wow. Are you serious!? I'm going to feel so naked.

Not even mace? That's an uneasy feeling.

Are you guys sure?

SA 1911 - XD45 - G21sf - G22 - G27 - Hk USP 40 - SIG P226 E2 - Browning High-Power - S&W M19-3 - CZ-82 - Remington 870
Old September 11, 2011, 05:44 PM   #7
oneounceload

Yep - and yet millions travel there without incident every day
Old September 11, 2011, 05:51 PM   #8
shortwave

....but if you feel you must have protection, maybe you can hire one,two or three of Mayor Bloombergs armed body guards whilst your there.

Sorry Constantine...just couldn't resist.
Old September 11, 2011, 05:57 PM   #9
maestro pistolero

To repeat, as an out of state visitor, you may not even bring your pistol into the state of New York without a state pistol permit that you can't get.
Old September 11, 2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

You need to check on the knife and OC laws. IIRC, knives below 4" and OC are legal in the city.

Also, using common sense you will be fine.

If have a gun fanboy panic attack, don't go there.
Old September 11, 2011, 06:08 PM   #11
maestro pistolero

Gun fanboy panic attack? That's a surprisingly derogatory reference coming from you, Glen.

Last edited by maestro pistolero; September 12, 2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old September 11, 2011, 06:13 PM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

A touch of annoyance over folks who panic going to DC or NYC. Then someone says, they should drop into the ocean as I saw in the CA thread.

Whenever we have a thread like this, someone will say - I wouldn't go there ever, blah, blah. Curses on them, blah, blah.

Yep, I'm cranky over seeing this again and again. I have to go the places like that on business. CA, NYC, Chicago, DC - guess what I made it and had a good time.

I suppose I could have been milder. My support for the RKBA doesn't turn off my rational mind. Heavens know that I get enough crap for supporting such at work.
Old September 11, 2011, 06:17 PM   #13
oneounceload

Quote:
Pepper Spray IS legal in NYC under certain circumstances. First, you must be at least 18 years of age or older to both purchase and carry pepper spray. Second, you must have no history of felony convictions or assaults. Third, the pepper spray MUST be purchased from an authorized dealer, pharmacy, or gun dealer.(I am including a link below that takes you to a website that gives locations that sells Pepper Spray in NYC.) Fourth, when you do buy the pepper spray, you must complete a form with your name, address, birth date, and signature.
Also be aware that you CAN NOT bring pepper spray that was purchased in another state into NYC. Also, you can not give pepper spray to any minor.
I was meaning him carrying his own from home
Knives under 4 are OK, but I was thinking more like the typical Benchmade, SOG, Cold Steel etc that folks actually carry for SD, not the little pocket finger-nail cleaner most have
Old September 11, 2011, 06:17 PM   #14
Alaska444

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is legal to transport a properly secured handgun THROUGH New York state, but you cannot stop in NY at any time since you would then be in violation. In other words, if you are traveling, get your gas before crossing the Tappan zee bridge headed east.
Old September 11, 2011, 06:27 PM   #15
BeachHead

Quote:
Third, the pepper spray MUST be purchased from an authorized dealer, pharmacy, or gun dealer.
Whether purchased out-of-state or anywhere other than an "authorized" retailer, how would the police know where you got your OC from? Are certain brands like Sabre on an NY-approved list or something? Do you need to keep a copy of the receipt in your wallet as proof?
Old September 11, 2011, 06:30 PM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

You can do just fine with Spyderco Delica - common SD blade recommended in some knife classes. You don't need a sword. You aren't going to fence the Black Prince on the torch arm of the Statue of Liberty to save Princess Goldentushy.

One can also carry a decent Surefire. You want to get your tush out of danger and that can help.

Don't know where the OP is staying but he could google the area for a druggist, police store that sells OC.
Old September 11, 2011, 06:37 PM   #17
mikejonestkd

Just some food for thought...you are coming from Miami and going to NYC...

The crime rate in NYC is nothing compared to your hometown. In fact, it is one of the safest big cities in the country.

http://newyork.areaconnect.com/crime...c2=Miami&s2=FL

" Latest 2006 Crimes per 100,000 People:
New York, NY Miami, FL National

Murder: 7.3 19.6 7
Forcible Rape:13.12 25.7 32.2
Robbery: 287.9 537.2 205.8
Aggravated Assault:329.6 926.9 336.5
Burglary: 271.1 1130.5 813.2
Larceny Theft:1412.9 3045.5 2601.7
Vehicle Theft:195.2 987.2 501.5"

Enjoy the trip and use your head as to where you go and when you go out, and you'll be fine.
Old September 11, 2011, 06:38 PM   #18
egor20

Constantine

Just use your SA and your Brain, you'll do fine. I have to go to D.C. a lot and me and the missus like going to NYC once and a while, never had a problem.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old September 11, 2011, 06:57 PM   #19
8shot357

Get a sports whistle and a key baton or Maglite*. Maybe a mini bottle of hair spray, or peppermint mouth spray for the eyes. The whistle alone will scare the heck out of them, then a baton to the chest or head, then spray them in the face. After that kick him nut's with your steel toes. Do you have a belt with a large heavy belt buckle? Take that off and swing it like nunchuck's.

Get a bottle of www.liquidass.com

Last edited by 8shot357; September 11, 2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old September 11, 2011, 10:48 PM   #20
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Wow. Are you serious!? I'm going to feel so naked.

Not even mace? That's an uneasy feeling.

Are you guys sure?
Yes.

If you decide to bring a knife, be aware that the NYPD doesn't like knives, either. Blades under 4" are theoretically legal, but NYC has some arcane rules about what the y consider to be "self-opening" blades. It's been awhile since I've followed it, but I recall several cases in which assisted opening folders were treated as if they were switchblades, and the owners had some real problems.

In fact: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462362

Either don't go to NYC, or suck it up and rely on street smarts for a couple of days to stay away from trouble.

My vote is don't go to NYC, but I had to violate that myself a couple of weeks ago because of a family emergency. But I was in and out the same day and I stayed strictly on main streets in lower-central Manhattan.
Old September 11, 2011, 11:09 PM   #21
egor20

Constantine

Kinda of an EDIT:

I have a small limp so I walk with one of these when I go to D.C. and NYC.
http://www.coldsteel.com/irishblackthorn.html

I really don't need one, but what the heck

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old September 11, 2011, 11:27 PM   #22
UbelKraft

Tools

My two cents:
Don't get your legal advice from a forum. It may be good advice, but there is no substitute for being educated yourself.

Weight the cost for yourself of getting busted...

Get creative: ball-peen hammer and a screwdriver are perfectly legal and for sale in every city in the country (not very good at long range though).

I travel a lot, so I'm familiar with the anxiety of not having all my tools with me. For everyone else, ask a teenage girl to leave her cell phone home for a few days and watch her squirm...similar theory.

At the end of the day: Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Old September 12, 2011, 12:21 AM   #23
tyme
Staff

Visiting any secured buildings, you probably won't be allowed in with a folding knife of any kind. Not sure about flashlights. Are visitors to the MOMA/Met screened these days?

If you get into a situation where you need to use any sort of weapon, you've already failed at situational awareness.

Staying alert served me just fine when I lived in hell.

Carrying a ball-peen hammer with no explainable use for it is most likely going to be deemed illegal carry of a weapon if you manage to get searched and it's found. A flashlight should be okay.

Check out this thread where a NYC peace officer talks about arresting people for carrying a kubotan:
http://forums.officer.com/forums/arc...p/t-42554.html
That's what you're up against if you carry a weapon in NYC: well-intentioned law enforcement who think it's in your best interest to arrest you for carrying most weapons that can be used in self defense. According to Shield22, assaulting minors for swearing, and charging people for carrying a kubotan, will help reduce violent crime.

Check for yourself, but a small folder (I'd go with 3.5" or smaller, folder, non-assisted) and a flashlight should be fine. After some quick research, it appears to me that NYC legal pepper spray must have a warning label and first aid instructions mandated by NY law. If you have some other spray not sold in NY, it's possible that it's illegal because it lacks those labels.

An umbrella is not as sturdy but would have better reach than a flashlight.

Some people have been known to develop a leg or foot ailment, requiring them to use a cane, before travelling to regions that forbid concealed carry. A strange phenomenon, but be alert for any unusual pain or difficulty walking... it could happen to you.

IANAL nor a legal expert.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old September 12, 2011, 12:45 AM   #24
youngunz4life

just kidding, figured you already knew the answer by now

bring the gun(s). you'll never use them unless absolutely necessary anyways
Old September 12, 2011, 12:49 AM   #25
egor20

tyme

Quote:
Some people have been known to develop a leg or foot ailment, requiring them to use a cane, before travelling to regions that forbid concealed carry. A strange phenomenon, but be alert for any unusual pain or difficulty walking... it could happen to you.
LoL

Quote:
Are visitors to the MOMA/Met screened these days?

Last time I was at the Met, (2 yrs ago) We were Wanded, not a big deal.

BTW: Constantine, the cane didn't have a second look from the guards.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Closed Thread