The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Bruno2

Location: Not saying b/c I dont want any of you crazy people to rob or kill me. Alright it's Tulsa , Oklahoma
light 20 ga load

My 12 yr old is just started a schoolastic clay target program at the gun club . He has a 20 ga 1187 youth model . I have a 366 Hornady reloader that Is set up for 20 ga . I have got him started learning how to use it and getting him familiar with reloading his own shotshells . I do keep a close eye on him while he is using it to insure that the shells are being reloaded properly and not a chance of a double charge . He knows the rules of a squib and what it takes to get a stuck wad out . He hasnt hit a squib yet and thats great .

My question is this I have him loading 7/8 oz of shot , 14gr (the bushing really drops 13.7 gr) of green dot , a win WAA20 wad and or the cb equivalent , win 209 primer , AA hull . This load is supposed to get about 1155 fps and it was the lightest load I could find in my book . He has been complaining about how hard the gun is hitting his cheek . He went through about 2 boxes of shells yesterday and towards the end his scores were dropping off some and I think he was getting flinchy from the recoil . I have been looking for a lighter 7/8 oz load and have not been able to find one using the green dot . What would happen if I reduced the powder charge about a full grain down to around 13 gr ?
Old October 25, 2009, 09:52 PM   #2
.45 COLT

According to my 2004 Alliant book, with your combination of components:

11.2 Grains of Green Dot for 1,050 FPS

They don't list any Green Dot loads in the AA hull and a WAA20 wad for any velocity over the 1,050 FPS.

DC
Old October 25, 2009, 10:23 PM   #3
Shoney

The problem has more to do with the fit of the stock, not the load. Get a knowledgable person (perhaps the teacher of the class) to check the fit. It may be too long or too short, or simply have the wrong drop.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old October 26, 2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Bruno2

Location: Not saying b/c I dont want any of you crazy people to rob or kill me. Alright it's Tulsa , Oklahoma
you know what colt . I have been looking in every load book that I have except for the Alliant book . I am loading aliant powder so it only makes sense to look in that book . I have the 2004 edition also and there it was just as you said .

Thanks ,somebody should have just posted pull your head out !
Old October 26, 2009, 02:57 PM   #5
Bruno2

I also got a slip on recoil pad for the butstock to see if the offset will help his cheek any , if not than I may take the factory recoil pad off the buttstock to see if shortening the LOP helps any .