The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 6, 2009, 12:37 PM   #1
chris in va

OWB holster...this is frustrating.

I can't seem to find an OWB that's comfortable. Bought a Galco FLETCH for my new Kahr K9 as it has the flat inner face and thumbsnap that I needed. The other one for my Sig 220 works decently enough when I had a floppy non-stiffened belt, but here's what happens with the new gun belt.

Don Hume used to split their belt loops to alleviate this issue. Some way I can do this on the Galco?

Old April 6, 2009, 12:55 PM   #2
AK103K

I dont see why you couldnt split the stitching and thread your belt through like the Don Hume version, as long as there's enough room and material. You may have to reinforce the stitching though, so it doesnt keep tearing out.

The downside here is, you may also end up wrecking the holster. Dont ask how I know.
Old April 6, 2009, 02:55 PM   #3
GuyMontag

I have that holster and just worked to break it in. It fits great on a Wilderness Tactical 1 3/4". I have no issues and it's comfy as hell.
Old April 6, 2009, 03:06 PM   #4
M1911

In my experience, Galco holsters are junk. I strongly suggest that you pay for a better holster. There are many smaller shops that don't cost much more than Galco, but provide a much better product. Milt Sparks, Kramer Leather, Rusty Sherrick, etc., all build a much better holster than Galco.

Last edited by M1911; April 7, 2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old April 6, 2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Just curious Chris, what is the issue? Do the loops dig into your side or is it hard to thread a gun belt through it?

I use Fletch hoslters for my 1911, Glock and snubnose and haven't had an issue with them.
Old April 7, 2009, 09:48 AM   #6
chris in va

Quote:
Just curious Chris, what is the issue? Do the loops dig into your side or is it hard to thread a gun belt through it?
Both. I actually took the holster back to the shop and got a different design that is a lot more comfortable. But I still have one for my Sig 220, and the loops just dig in much harder with the stiffer belt. That's why I like the Don Hume design so the loops are offset, but they don't make those anymore.
Old April 7, 2009, 10:09 AM   #7
ZeSpectre

Chris,
I had something similar. I wound up soaking the tips in water for an hour and then wearing the holster while they dried (no gun in holster). Had to do it twice but the loops re-formed and were much more comfortable.

Of course YMMV and all of that.

Ze
Old April 7, 2009, 10:40 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

My Galco's don't bother me, but I wear them right on my hip bone so maybe the ends hit me some place else than they hit you.

I don't know about all of their holsters, but a buddy of mine has a Desantis holster that was set up like the Don Hume you showed. Might be work looking at their site if you haven't already.
Old April 7, 2009, 10:48 AM   #9
Housezealot

I have found that paddle holsters are hard to beat, doesn't matter what kind of belt (if any you have on) and they are easier to take off when you get home.
Old April 7, 2009, 11:23 AM   #10
voyager4520

Or.............................You could sell it and just get a Don Hume. I was gonna get the more expensive Galco for my G23, but ended up getting a Don Hume. Best decision I ever made.
Old April 7, 2009, 09:48 PM   #11
chris in va

Well guys, I just can't win. Went back to the store and traded it for a Galco Stinger (no refund policy). It fits great and is much more comfortable, however...

It has no retention. The gun slides in and out like it's buttered. No adjustment screw. So is there any way to add one?

Old April 8, 2009, 01:05 AM   #12
voyager4520

The Stinger is not meant for the Kahr K9, it's meant for the PM and MK series. The K9 is 3.5" barrel while the holster is meant for 3".

I have a Don Hume H721 Open Top, though they make an identical one with a thumb break. Each model has different configurations for different guns, so if you see a don hume H721 at the store you must make sure it's configured for your model or you'll get the wrong one. So you'd be looking for "Don Hume Fit Code 40-K9" for the Kahr K9, no matter what model holster. Mine is "36-4" since I have a Glock 23.

Edit: Galco lumps a bunch of guns together in one model holster. Don Hume designs different versions of each model holster for different handgun models.

Next time ask the gun store clerk if you can bring your gun in to try out holsters, though they might expect you to bring it in safety cleared with a cable gun lock going through the chamber and magazine well.

Just looking at that picture I can tell that holster doesn't fit that gun. Close, but close isn't good enough.

Last edited by voyager4520; April 8, 2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old April 8, 2009, 02:22 AM   #13
chris in va

Quote:
Next time ask the gun store clerk if you can bring your gun in to try out holsters
I did, and we tried everything he had for the K9. The Stinger packaging actually said K9 as well as the MK9. It fits fine, just doesn't have any retention.

Guess I'm stuck with it for now. Just hoping I could get it to 'retain' more somehow.
Old April 8, 2009, 06:41 AM   #14
M1911

Chris:

The holsters that you can buy in a gun store are crap. Order a holster from a quality holster maker.
Old April 10, 2009, 02:49 PM   #15
kwikrnu

pics of my desantis holster 001 D6. I use this to carry my p9 and as you can see it has the same problem. I second getting a quality holster.