The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2000, 08:54 AM   #1
Cougar

Once upon a time, I came upon a box of Remington Multi-ball loads in .38 Spl. I bought it for the novelty. I later found a box of Remington Multi-ball in .357 Mag. Yep, bought those too! The printing on the boxes state that it is for 'Law Enforcemnt Use Only' (Any particular reason for that?).

For those who have never seen this load, it consists of two 000-Buck (70 grains each) dead soft lead balls contained INSIDE of a .38 or .357 case, with the last ball held in place with a roll crimp. They are supposedly a low-mid velocity loading, at approximately 850-900fps.

I shot a cylinder full of each just to see how they were for accuracy. The .38s I shot using a 3" snubbie at 7 yards. The two balls printed about 1" apart at that distance. The .357s I shot using an 8" Dan Wesson at 25 yards where they printed about 2-1/2" apart. This sounds like it would make for a great defensive load! The dead soft balls would deform upon hitting anything hard, reducing the danger of a ricochet, and each ball's weight would not allow it to overpenetrate inside a house.

I really don't want to use these factory loads too much unless I can make some of my own. I cut one open (very carefully!) and found no wad over the powder. Any suggestions on how to proceed with making some more of these things?
Old February 19, 2000, 02:06 PM   #2
tonyz

A pistol was made to shoot one projectial.

I think that for a defensive round I will stick to corbon, or fedral hydro shock.

I have a very short 12 gauge that will shoot
multipal projectals very well with a 2 1/2 inch group at 15 feet.

Has far as makeing such a round load carefully.
Old February 21, 2000, 06:11 AM   #3
Cougar

I have looked in my Speer reloading manual, a Lyman reloading manual, Hodgedon and Hercules powder manuals, as well as the one-stop Loadbooks out there.

Who made that book you refer to? I'd be interested in picking up a copy.

Thanks in advance!

Cougar
Old February 22, 2000, 11:37 PM   #4
TEXAS LAWMAN

I found the Nonte book in a West Texas public library in the late '70s. Copied down some of the multi-ball loads and will now try to find them. Never did get around to loading any but sounds like fun in .38 / .357 / .45 Colt.
Old February 24, 2000, 05:29 PM   #5
GrubbyJack

every try the load of using SPEER shot capsules and 3 #1 buck with o-rings between the rounds.

Old March 16, 2000, 08:30 PM   #6
Cougar

Blunder, here you go!

------------------
Remember, just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!