The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Lee FC die for +P 45 Autorim revolver loads ???

thoughts on picking up a Lee factory crimp die for 45 Autorim revolver loads... I'm wanting to do some hotter loads, & have a 1000 230 grain FMJ bullets I could use, but am a little worried about the friction taper crimp... wondering if you guys think a factory crimp die might put enough of a canalure in the FMJ bullets to keep them in place with warmer loads ???
Old April 8, 2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

It would not be my first choice because Lee sells the same die for 45 ACP/45 AUTO RIM/45 SCHOFIELD/45 WIN MAG/45 GAP. It has a taper crimp. For higher pressure revolver loads, unless the gun is so heavy that it prevents bullet backup by absorbing the recoil with its mass, you want a roll crimp. I would suggest the Redding Profile Crimp die.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 8, 2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks NICK... that's what I was looking for...of course they are back ordered... but then, I guess I'm getting used to that...
Old April 8, 2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

BTW, You won't put much of a dent (small one) in an FMJ that way, though it will move lead just fine. You may discover you have a two-step process in which you need to put a cannelure in the bullets and use the profile crimp die, both. Just depends on how much recoil you actually generate and how heavy the gun is. That last point matters a lot. It's the fellows with ultra lightweight revolvers who get into the most trouble with this, as already mentioned.
Old April 8, 2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

mines on 5" Blackhawk conversion, so it has a bit of weight, but nothing really heavy...

BTW... canalure tool is interesting may have to pick up one of those too

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; April 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old April 8, 2013, 06:11 PM   #6
hammie

This is of interest to me because I used to load a speer, 225 grain jacketed bullet in my 45 auto rim, and it worked just dandy. However it seems that speer bullet is discontinued, and I need to find an alternative. I guess either:

1. use a 200 grain cast bullet which was intended for the .45 colt. It has a crimping groove, or

2. try and figure out if it is possible to use a 250 grain, .45 colt, jacketed bullet in the .45 auto rim, or

3 do the cannelure trick as suggested by uncle nick.

Who makes a cannelure tool? It used to be CH tool and die, but now I think it is CH4D, and they do list a cannelure tool on their website (out of stock, of course). I couldn't discover any other manufacturer. A search at midway came up with nothing.
Old April 9, 2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Follow my link in post #4 to CH4D's tool. Corbin also makes one that's $150, but appears to be a little fancier. It can do case cannelures. They make others that do bullet cannelures to put lube recesses in swaged bullets made on their gear.
Old April 9, 2013, 06:15 PM   #8
hammie

@unclenick: I didn't know about the corbin (and didn't realize the blue underline was a link to ch4d). I thought corbin just did bullet swaging equipment. I will look at the corbin. The ch4d one is essentially 100$. 50$ is not that much difference between the two, and so, the features will decide my choice. Thanks for the help and information. I always learn something here.
Old April 24, 2013, 07:59 AM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

just a follow up... my buddy has one of the canalure tools, which he has modified ( I think that's what retired tool & die guys do, when their buddies don't bring them projects to work on ) anyway, he added a couple features, one a set screw to hold the bullet precisely, so the groove can be cut in exactly the same place each time... I also found a place that had the Redding Profile Crimp die in stock...

I decided to load long, so I cut the crimp groove in the bullet at .015" from the base, then used the profile crimp die to roll crimp into the fresh cut bullet groove... this also allows me more space in the case, which should drop my pressures a little...

the cartridges actually look like 45 Win Mags with a rim... I'm using Longshot powder, & I used 45 Super load data, since the Blackhawk is a strong revolver...we're supposed to have a nice weekend for a change... I'm hoping to get a little shooting done... I have 4-5 new projects that need some test loads put through them...