The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 30, 2012, 01:30 AM   #1
ottoblotto71

thompson center hawken crooked screws

i just got a used t/c hawken for $150, i believe it was a kit gun . the serial # starts with a k ?? the stock actually has a better finish than a factory one. the only problem is, all the screws on the stock are crooked and misaligned. what would be the best way to put them in properly? it really detracts from what normally is a beautiful gun. do i fill the old holes up with putty and redrill? should i use a drill press? i have a cordless with the level on the back of the drill. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old March 30, 2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

There aren't many screws on the stock. Are you talking about the ones holding the butt plate on?
What I do when I have a problem with screw holes is to tap in a round toothpick with some white glue. To reseat the screw a small pilot hole with a drill will help a lot.
Old March 30, 2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Pahoo

Fairly easy fix !!!

I have built a few kit rifles, including the TC Hawken models. I have also reworked quite a few. You have not specified which screws as there are more than one thinks. Yes, it probably is a kit as you mentioned the prefix of "K". I have only seen one other kit gun that did not have the k-prefix. I have also seen kit guns that were finished better than factory, but not many. Kit guns are usually very easy to spot. ...

There are many ways to fix that stripped hole and the last one I did, was on the trigger guard. Not only was it stripped, but dry-rotted and I really wound up with a big hole to fill, with real wood. Toothpicks and glue work fine but don't crowd your screws and the wood will only compress to a point. I have also used excelsior with glue. One smith I know, just uses wood with no glue. I do prefer glue. ..

Be Safe!!!
Old March 30, 2012, 02:28 PM   #4
ottoblotto71

thanks for the help, to be more specific it was the screws on the brass wedge plates and the patch box 6 screws alltogether, but they really jump out at you
Old March 30, 2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Pahoo

Slow and easy, is the way !!

That would be the Escutcheon Plate screws and there should be a total of four, very small brass round head screws. The plates should be partially countersunk and the wood in this area is very thin compared to other areas. I wonder if at some point, the wedge pushed them out of place. Are they off, in the same direction; up or down. Are the holes totally stripped out? How is you barrel, locking up at this time? You may have to do a realignment. ....
I guess I would do the toothpick and redrill trick on these or just cut out a walnut plug, glue and re-drill. ...

I have also taken a round dowel and put a point on it with a pencil sharpener. Make a matching hole in the stock and reglue. They make this tool with plugs that you can get from a woodworking supply house. This would be primarily for larger holes. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old April 3, 2012, 01:12 PM   #6
ottoblotto71

yes you are right, the plate screw holes when they were drilled, were drilled crooked and run out into the slot where the brass wedge slides in and out . i think im gonna go with the toothpick and glue trick and try to rebuild that area up alittle bit and then redrill . any thoughts on glue? elmers? gorilla? or are they all pretty much the same? thanks for everybodys help
Old April 3, 2012, 02:37 PM   #7
Pahoo

TiteBond-III

Quote:
any thoughts on glue? elmers? gorilla? or are they all pretty much the same?
My GoTo on this one would be TiteBond-III. It's similar to the standard white-glue, like Elmers but waterproof when dry and I think, stronger. While wet, you can still clean it up with a damp cloth. Gorilla glue, is an entirely different animal/type and although seldom, I still use it on special applications. ....

Take extra care cause your screws might want to follow the old path. ...

Be Safe !!!