The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 25, 2015, 08:21 PM   #76
militant

What web sites have the best deals aside from buds?
Old January 25, 2015, 08:44 PM   #77
WVsig

There are all sorts of places. J&G, Gun Broker, AIM etc... A lot depends on what you are looking for. Some places specialize in particular guns or particular types.

I have several places I look at regularly. You have to have cash and be ready to buy when they pop up!
Old January 25, 2015, 11:40 PM   #78
RodTheWrench

Just my 2 cents:

A good friend of mine is getting ready to retire from the County Sheriff's office. In his years there, he's had 4 guns issued - 3 G23s and 1 G19. I would buy his old trade-in any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Why?

He's the Kitchen Manager at the County Jail. He's a sworn Deputy though, and he's got a department-issued gun. He told me he'd be surprised if all 4 of the guns he carried had more than 500 rounds through them when they were turned in.

Of course an extreme example, but really, I can't imagine that 90% of Police turn-ins aren't mostly surface wear and very little internal.

My experience was with a Beretta 92FS about 20 years ago. The biggest LGS around here dealt a lot in police trade-ins and had probably 9 of them in the case. Being a poor college student, one that was priced at $269 caught my eye. It was rough on the outside to be sure, but seemed tight enough to my inexperienced hands and eyes, so I bought it. I ditched the scratched-to-hell plastic panels and installed Hogue. I never did anything with the finish, which was VERY worn from apparent holster carry. I put at least 15,000 rounds through it in the next few years with nary a hiccup, and only infrequent cleanings. It didn't get shot much for a few years as my collection began to grow, but one day I decided to take it to a gunsmith I was having do some action-slicking on another gun, and asked him to give the old girl the once-over. He called me a week later and told me the gun needed nothing, just a good, deep clean. He mic'ed the barrel and everything, found no faults whatsoever. Now, whether that meant my gun had an extremely low round-count prior to my purchase or that Berettas of that era were exceptionally well made, I don't know. One thing I can say, however, is that I look upon police buy-backs with a very favorable eye. Be careful, handle it if you can, but I definitely wouldn't shy away.
Old January 25, 2015, 11:40 PM   #79
hornetguy

Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore usually gets some good ones in. That's where I got my Smith Mod 64 round butt... very clean, very tight, NOT DAO. Very nice K frame. I think it was about $249 or something like that.
Old January 25, 2015, 11:52 PM   #80
Metalboy

I have a Beretta 92 FS, for many years, bought it new, and they are very good. I saw videos when they didn't clean them for thousand of rounds, but they just kept working.
Old February 9, 2015, 11:29 PM   #81
Cyanide971

Figured I better finally put a picture up of my police trade-in that I scored a few weeks back; 9mm Beretta PX4 D w/3-17 rd mags for $349 OTD, then picked up a couple of 20 rd mags for another $69.

I don't think it's a bad deal, especially considering the rarity of finding a 9mm D model, as the used .40's seem to be easily found all over (namely Cabela's).

Last edited by Cyanide971; February 9, 2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old February 12, 2015, 02:47 PM   #82
georgiacatweazle

Bought a police trade Glock 22 a few years back, gen 3. only 3 or 4 FTF which I believe was ammo related. not sure how many rounds I've put through it, mix of 40 a 9mm through a conversion barrel, maybe 1000+
cleaned it maybe twice.
Old March 2, 2015, 07:59 PM   #83
Cyanide971

Can't wait to see how my next police trade in pistol does after I get finished with this next round of work in a few weeks.

Just scored a 9mm Sig P229 DAK w/night sights and 3 mags marked "Police, University of Medicine & Dentistry New Jersey". Asking the vendor if he'll send me a couple of color photos since the ones on the advertisement were black and white...
Old March 3, 2015, 03:36 AM   #84
Brotherbadger

In January, I picked up a Glock 19 police trade in. Outside of carry wear it is in excellent shape(even that is very minimal). Came with night sights(which are dim but still usable) and an old pre ban mag. It cost $330 OTD.

To me, out was a great value and if I chose to sell it, I shouldn't lose much(if anything) of my initial cost. I haven't shot it enough to make it my carry gun, but so far it has been reliable. Just make sure to inspect it and you're gtg.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "