The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 13, 2012, 10:32 PM   #1
seansean1444

good deer hunting shotgun suggestions

hi looking for a new whitetail deer gun. things that have to be a must

1. has to be a autoloader
2. cheaper is better (im 18)
3. would like to have iron rifle sights with option of scope mount.

this gun will be used hard every day of whitetail season and i do a few slug shooting competitions. probably 12 a year. thanks and im open to all sugestions
Old February 14, 2012, 12:54 PM   #2
ocharry

i have an 1100 rem. it has a lot of deer under its belt

i used to live in ohio and that was the only way you could hunt deer for many years,,you can use pistols now,,and always muzzleloaders

mine is a smooth bore,,when the barrel is clean from a bench 50 yrds it will clover leaf the holes ,, and that gas system takes the sting outa them punkin balls

lots of barrel configs for remington,,smooth with sights,,rifled with sights,,rifled with sights and cantalever,,,you pick

my .02

ocharry
Old February 15, 2012, 03:37 PM   #3
PetahW

Remington 1100 Deer Gun - +1

In 1966, Remington introduced the Deer Gun version of the Model 1100 - a smoothbore with rifle sights.

If you can't find one online or on a funshop's used gun rack ( approx $350 +/- ) - a viable low-budget alternative would be to look for ANY 12ga or 20ga autoloader with a plain barrel (no rib), cut the barrel to 20" or 22" & epoxy on a set of fiber-optic open sights (Cabela's, MidwayUSA, etc).

I've made at least a dozen "deer guns" like that, for friends/relatives, over the last 45 years - that took deer just fine, w/o issues.

Old February 15, 2012, 03:55 PM   #4
sweetshot

Years ago I bought a Remington 11-87 black sps (composite stock and farearm), with a regular barrel for shotshells and an iron sight rifled barrel for sabot slugs, (although you can shoot rifled slugs through it too). It's range and accuracy is fantastic with sabots, and my only complaint would be weight, although it has swivels so I can use a sling to carry. I've used it for years on both small game and deer, but now have retired it for small game, but still shoot the occasional deer with it. Recently I picked up a Remington composite stock with pistol grip and thumbhole for it that is even more comfortable to shoot for slugs.
Old February 15, 2012, 03:57 PM   #5
sweetshot

Ooops, hit return to quick.... I meant to add that you can find tons of these on the used racks, and the 11-87 or it's cousin the 1100 should be perfect for deer. You can get the rifled or smooth bore barrels with cantilevered scope mounts for it too.
Old February 15, 2012, 05:22 PM   #6
DutchTexan

Not necessarily cheap but I would call it a good value is the Beretta Xtrema2 slug barrel gun. FWIW I don't believe in cheap autoloaders - if price is an issue get a quality pump.

The Xtrema2 slug gun has iron sights, has scope/optics mounts, can shoot 3.5" shells and has a recoil dampening system called kick-off.

I use an Xtrema2 as my duck gun and love it. I don't have the slug barrel for it but if i hunted deer with a shotgun I would definitely get it. I did a search and saw one for sale right now at a popular gun seller site for $850. The slug barrel alone goes for around $700 new but I've seen them previously owned/unfired for ~$450-500.
Old February 15, 2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Mike1234

Check out the Baikal MP153. Remington used to sell these under their "Spartan" label. They seem pretty darned good for the money. I bought a nice used one and have had no trouble with it at all. They come from the Izhmash factory in Russia... same folks that make the AK.

ETA: The MP153 MSRP can be found new for about $335 (blue/synthetic) and you can find a nice used one for less than $200.

Last edited by Mike1234; February 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old February 15, 2012, 05:57 PM   #8
upstate81

I'm perplexed why you posted this thread. Your "location" is your answer lol. 37's are nearly bullet proof.
Old February 15, 2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Twigs199

Remington 870 Express

I use a Remington 870 express. Its basic, Its easy, The price is awesome, Can customize the heck outta it. And will fire no matter what! Its my deer gun and has never failed me yet The deers dont like it very much but I LOVE IT! My boss thought he would do one up on me and buy a new Benelli nova and went on and on about it... yea my freezer is full and his is not (really has nothing to do with the gun but still fun to give him a hard time about it). Its a pump tho but I like it that way, cheaper and there's something about it that makes your hair stand up when you hear the sound.

Remi 870, love it and will last forever!

Last edited by Twigs199; February 15, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old February 15, 2012, 06:22 PM   #10
.243 Jake

ithica

Im 15, and i bagged my first deer this year with an Ithica 12 guage. the gun had a rifled barrel, and dropped the deer in its tracks. Ithica gund is definatly the way to go for a deer hunting shotgun.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:47 AM   #11
YFM700

Remington 1100 Deer Gun - +2

I have an old 1100 20ga. that my Grandfather bought brand new back in the day. Legend has it that both my father and uncle both shot their first deer with it, and many more after that. I shot my first deer with it and a couple more. It's light, accurate and easy to shoot, you should be able to find a used one fairly cheap. Every few years I go out and spend a bunch of money on the "ultimate" deer shotgun/rifle, and ALWAYS go back to the ol' 1100.

-Nick
Old February 16, 2012, 09:43 AM   #12
meatgrinder42

I've heard very good things about 1100 slug guns. I have two uncles who use them and a few buddies. I was surprised on how accurate they were for an autoloader, and they'll cycle the shells as fast as you can make them (not that you should need to hunting anyway). And the Rem barrels have the rifle sights on them *all the ones I've seen anyway have. I use a 870 WM and the only complaint I have about the sights on it is the front white dot can be a real bear to see sometimes so i'd look at getting some glow sights for it.
Old February 16, 2012, 06:57 PM   #13
shortwave

Another 1100 fan here. Own two 1100's and an 1100 magnum. All are old with many rds. downrange hunting various game. Have never had an issue with them. Other then they're heavy.
Today, only one is used. It's my deer gun when I'm stand hunting only and choose not to use a bp rifle. It also doubles as my HD shotgun. Just getting to old to lug the heavy thing over the hills anymore.

If I know I'm gonna be on the move, I'll usually grab a pistol, mod. 37 or single shot.
Old February 17, 2012, 01:42 PM   #14
honcho

the Winchester sx3 deer hunting model has all of your requirements, iron sights, can be set up with scope, cantilever barrel. the x2's were also made in that configuration but I havent seen any for sale new or used in a while. The x2's and x3's are a very under-rated gun. I own both, not in a deer model but have never had any issues with either of them as far as cycling shells in any weather.

You can find used browning gold deer hunting models around too but they dont have iron sites. I do have one of these and have never had any problems or issues with the gun in any type of weather and is very accurate. Have brought home alot of deer with this gun.
Old February 17, 2012, 08:32 PM   #15
Doyle

You can get more bang for your buck if you drop the autoloader requirement.