The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 15, 2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Hardcase

A Quick and Easy Display

Just a board and some wooden pegs. Originally, it had grandma's china teacups hanging from it. They're in the china cabinet now...probably a safer place than anywhere around clumsy ol' me.

My digital camera has bit the dust, so all I have is my yucky cell phone. But...left to right:

1895 Soviet Nagant
Colt New Army .38
Cimarron Model P .357
Pietta "1862 Police" .36
Lyman 1858 .36
Pietta 1860 .44
Uberti 1860 .44
Pietta 1858 .44
ASP "Gunnison and Griswold" .44

It was a snap to make - I just ran a router around the edges of a 1x3 to dress it up a little, drilled the holes and slapped on a little yellow paint. I hit it here and there with some sandpaper to "age" it a touch. I need to make a couple of more this weekend!
Old November 16, 2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Andy Griffith

Very, very nice collection!

Is your Nagant a single or double action one? Do you shoot it often?
Old November 16, 2011, 06:54 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

HC

I like to keep em behind glass to keep the dust off of them but I like that effect.

One nice thing about your idea is that it is easy to get one down, wipe it down, oil it and such.
Old November 16, 2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Hardcase

Andy, it's a double action. I've looked all over for a single action, but I haven't been able to find one at a price that "the boss" will go for.

I actually do shoot it a fair amount. It's a real conversation starter at the range.

Doc, I shoot all of them regularly, so it's a whole lot easier to grab a couple and go when they're not behind glass. None of them sit around long enough to collect much dust, that is, as long as the weather cooperates!
Old November 16, 2011, 10:16 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

Very nice display! I'd do something like this but my better half prefers that mine stay hidden - can't blame her on that one or otherwise the place would look like the 7th Cavalry was quartered in our house.

What year is your Army Special? Looks like a 6' barrel? The one I have was made in 1910 - love shooting it.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 16, 2011, 11:19 PM   #6
Hardcase

Yep, it's a six incher. The best I can say about the date is between 1895 and 1901. The serial number was long gone back when my grandfather gave it to my dad, in the 1950s. It's either an 1895 or an 1896 model. It's got the RAC acceptance stamp on the left side, but the grips are wrong (I think that they're from a later police model).

I've shot it a few times with some really lightly loaded .38 Colt rounds, but the lockwork is getting a little cranky, so I've relegated it to the peg of honor.
Old November 17, 2011, 09:49 AM   #7
Uncle Buck

Nice. I was trying to figure out a good way to handle my pistols. I think I will put something like this in my rifle case and hang'em there.