The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 7, 2001, 10:07 AM   #1
Blinkme7182

Anyone out there have a good and effective idea of how to construct a silencer for a .22 (without blowing the bank)? I want to shoot .22 LR Thunderbolts without pissing off the neighbors....I know there's a lot of cookbooks available, but has anyone here had an experience withn one? Thanks!
Marc
Old June 7, 2001, 10:29 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

The manufacture, use, sale, and possession of suppressors is regulated under the National Firearms Act of 1934.

Construction of a suppressor without proper federal permits, and paying the federal taxes, can land you in Club Fed for an extended period of time.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 7, 2001, 10:41 AM   #3
bullfrog99

use aguila corbeli's or remington cee-bee's and any long gun will sound like it's supressed without the legal mumbojumbo
Old June 7, 2001, 10:57 AM   #4
Ewok_Guy

Tape a plastic 20 oz. soda bottle to the barrel and just shoot through the bottom of it. It doesn't throw off the accuracy too much at close ranges. Try it. And it is very quiet.
Old June 7, 2001, 11:16 AM   #5
sks

Ewok - I can imagine me stalking game with a plastic bottle taped to my rifle. I have heard this before though. Also, the use of an oil filter is supposed to be incredibly silent.

Check out these sites for information on silencers or suppressors. And yes, before you do the "home made" job be very careful because if caught you will get your own room for quite some time. The legal hoops can be pretty difficult or easy depending on where you live. But not always impossible.

sks

http://www.awcsystech.com/rifle_silence.htm

http://www.dhmelton.com/

http://www.gem-tech.com/quantum.html

http://www.tlguns.com/cans/1022-suppressors.html
Old June 7, 2001, 11:59 AM   #6
Watch-Six

I guess everyone has to try the plastic bottle trick. Many years ago I went out into the desert with my trusty bolt action .22 with a plastic bottle rigged on the end, looking around that no one saw the evil I was about to do. Accuracy was terrible. Try it if you must. It was a waste of time.
Old June 7, 2001, 12:45 PM   #7
MadScientist

I just went to amazon.com and did a search for silencers in books. 21 books come up, more than half of which are cookbooks (like you mention). Apart from the general cookbooks, there are books on silencers for .22s, .45s and the mini-14. Wonder if your name gets flagged for ordering one?
Old June 7, 2001, 01:07 PM   #8
sks

MadScientist - you are probably flagged already for mentioning it here.

I was seriously interested in one some time ago but the LEO where I live won't sign for one and that is a requirement. I've had my CCW for 4 years now but still they won't sign. And you have to pay a $200 "tax" to the BATF for registering the thing.

As was stated above, if you shoot sub-sonics or shorts in a bolt action it is about silenced. When I shoot CB caps in my Remington Target Master the sound of the round hitting the target overpowers the sound of the shot. It's fun and accurate.
Old June 7, 2001, 01:18 PM   #9
MadScientist

SKS,
I've seen Ruger Integrally Supressed .22 rifles for $700 NIB. Wonder if you could get your LEO to sign off on that since it seems less evil than an add-on silencer.
"yeah, I wanted to get a Ruger .22 target rifle but Ruger made them too quiet so you have to do that BATF thing. Would you sign for it?" Some LEO's would call you on it but I'd wager not all of them.
Old June 7, 2001, 01:31 PM   #10
Ewok_Guy

Actually, it worked well on my Marlin 60SB. I could wipe out a rabbit out to about 15-25 yards.-(and no, not with 60 shots, only 1 or 2). Who cares what it looks like! I'd rather look "stupid" and not be seen, than
look "cool" and be seen by someone who is about to call the cops!
Old June 7, 2001, 02:24 PM   #11
Payette Jack

There's also a fella that took the ruger 77/22 (I think, bolt action .44 mag anyway) and put an integral silencer on it. With subsonic .44 special ammo its supposedly whisper quiet.

How long 'til this thread gets closed I wonder?
Old June 7, 2001, 03:14 PM   #12
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

Not Closed.... Moved to Full Auto (i.e. Class III)

SKS- There are others that can sign off on the form, Chief LEO is only one. Local DA is another.

IRT Suppressors - Unless the suppressor is integral and bleeds the velosity below the speed of sound you are still going to get a sonic crack. This can be quite loud. On the plus side good suppressors masks the blast of the rifle to where you can't tell where the rifle is firing from. Down range you will hear the sonic crack (or the reflection of that off of objects), which travel at 90 degrees from the path of the bullet, as the supersonic bullet passes.

I've got a suppressor for my AR. I also use it when shooting .22 LR with the convirsion. .223s & Hi/Hyper Vel .22LR sound exactly the same (sonic crack, no muzzle noise).

With Sub-Sonic .22s all you can hear is the hammer hitting and then the bullet impacting the target.

Unless you have a Tax Stamp for your suppressor you can get very jammed up is caught. Not worth the hassle!!!

"Notoriety is fleeting,
Anonymity is forever!"
Old June 7, 2001, 03:15 PM   #13
BigG

Did you try to stick a potatoe sic on the end of your bbl yet?
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old June 7, 2001, 03:53 PM   #14
Ewok_Guy

Like I said, It worked for me! Just because you can't do it right doesn't mean I can't!

[Edited by Ewok_Guy on 06-08-2001 at 10:14 AM]