The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 5, 2013, 01:39 AM   #1
ZVP

.38 Special CZS loads?

At the last local Gun Show I purchased some .38 Special CAS reloads from Red Dog Firearms and besided being very well and carefully built, these loads are some of the mildest that I have ever shot thru my Cobra >38 Derringer!
Is there a "stamdard" by which CSA loads are built or is the powder charge at the discretion of the builder?
WIsh I'd have bought another 200 because these are a dream to shoot thru the little belly gun! Standard Factory 158g full power loads"sting" a little when fired thru this little piece!
Even at the reduced velocity of these loads, I am sure that they are easilly double the M/E of the origonal .41 R/F.
due to the rugged construction of the Cobra .38 Special it's a little gun that you want to shoot often!
ZVP
Old January 5, 2013, 07:23 AM   #2
brazosdave

I'd like to try those, I too have a cobra .38, and you're right, it does sting a bit with the standard loads, lol!
Old January 5, 2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Hawg

There is a power factor but basically its left up to the shooter.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

I have bought OTC cowboy loads for .45LC....

......and got everything fron 500 fps to nearly 800. (Hard to call 800 a cowboy load.)

I buy them cheap from Georgia Arms and I like the option. They are only a little bit more than buying brass from Starline and loading my own.

Georgia Arms is always at the three different gun and knife shows in our area and I have bought a hundred rounds from them every time in either .45LC or .357.