The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 2, 2013, 11:57 PM   #1
hbhobby

Why tumble brass

Other than making it look pretty why tumble brass? Granted i am new at this and have only been loading 20 years and i have never tumbled rifle brass. Was just curious if there is another reason besides cosmetic.
Old October 3, 2013, 12:21 AM   #2
jcwit

Makes it easier to see flaws in the cases IMO.

Otherwise, Why wash & wax your car?
Old October 3, 2013, 12:34 AM   #3
oldreloader

yep! I agree with jc. As my eyes get older the cleaned brass makes it easier to inspect.
Old October 3, 2013, 01:20 AM   #4
JustSomeGuy

Actually, I think the best reason to tumble brass is to get it clean enough so that it will not foul up your reloading dies. Dirt and grit are the enemies of smooth operation of your reloading press, and dirt in the dies can scratch them and leave marks that will impress themselves into your brass and may cause problems down the line.
Old October 3, 2013, 01:23 AM   #5
NWPilgrim

Mostly cosmetic. Agree with the others it can make it easier to see defects i the brass. My "shiny standards" have gradually risen over the years.

I went 18 years with just a cheap vibratory tumbler and as long as the worst of the range dirt and tarnish were removed I was happy. then I started tumbling longer, keeping a "dirty" bag of media for initial cleaning and a "nice" bag of media only used for polishing after sizing. Then I tried ultrasonic cleaning. And now I have finally moved into stainless steel media wet tumbling.

I have to keep reminding myself it is not really functional reasons and i am doing it just to make it look pretty. After putting in so much research, testing and careful assembly of my ammo, to me it is worth the effort and expense to also have it look great.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 3, 2013, 01:23 AM   #6
hcShooter

Press Gunk

So it's pretty obvious after you clean brass, just how discolored the cleaning media can get, which means it's taking out a ton of dirt and other gunk from your brass. So either you can get it cleaned and have it wind up in the media, or have an excessive a mount end up in your press. A lot of presses don't like getting overly dirty, and uncleaned brass will make a press get dirty VERY quickly.

My favorite is that I accidentally left the tumbler on overnight and fell asleep. Wow, a 10 hour tumble makes for some SUPER SUPER clean brass (and I just recharged the corn cob media with polish too)
Old October 3, 2013, 06:07 AM   #7
4runnerman

Agree with others here. Press works much smoother when the brass is clean. Flaws are very easy to see. Just all around easier to work with. I guess the main thing is---You throw it i tumbler walk away for a few hrs. Total work on you - 0%. Why not tumble.
Old October 3, 2013, 06:21 AM   #8
dahermit

Before I could afford (or they were commonly available), I was loading some 9MM shot from my German WWII P38. At some point, I discovered that a grain of sand had scored the sizing die, leaving a scratch on each case sized thereafter. I polished out the die and saved it, but was more thorough with about cleaning cases thereafter. After years of using liquids (flammable, Yikes!!!), I settled on tumbling as the safest, effective, and most importantly for someone like me who is lazy as a pet 'coon, passive...the tumbler does all the work. That is why I tumble...it is risky (stupid) not to clean, and the tumbler does it for you.
Old October 3, 2013, 06:25 AM   #9
dahermit

Quote:
I guess the main thing is---You throw it i tumbler walk away for a few hrs. Total work on you - 0%. Why not tumble.
Exactly! The high volume shooting, and considering the modest price of tumblers and media, its a "no brainer".
Old October 3, 2013, 06:38 AM   #10
iraiam

Tumbling brass does not necessarily mean polishing for cosmetic reasons.

I tumble to clean brass first, if I decide it needs to be polished, I do that after it's sized, de-primed, and trimmed. just before it gets reloaded. Cleaning and polishing are 2 separate operations that I use different tumble media for.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 3, 2013, 06:44 AM   #11
Bart B.

If you want your sizing dies to get scratched by hard grit on fired cases, then by all means, do not clean your cases before sizing them. Or, use carbide sizing dies; they're very, very expensive for bottleneck cases.
Old October 3, 2013, 09:15 AM   #12
kln4

tumbling is the easiest and cheapest part of reloading. I have one of those big tumblers from HF, and the walnut is from the pet store. I use a couple of dryer sheets to keep the dust down and a couple of capfulls "very fine grit" rubbing compound. The brass I ran 3yrs ago are clean and shiny as were when I first did them. If there are any problems with the cases I see it right away.
Old October 3, 2013, 09:54 AM   #13
David Bachelder

+ on JustSomeGuy

I believe he is right.
Old October 3, 2013, 10:08 AM   #14
rclark

If my brass was hitting the ground all the time, then I'd tumble every time. But since mine go from gun back into box, there is no need. So I tumble when I think they need it. I haven't noticed it 'fouling' the dies so much over the many years of reloading. I do wipe each case with a paper towel before resizing.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old October 3, 2013, 10:26 AM   #15
madmo44mag

Quote:
Justsomeguy - Actually, I think the best reason to tumble brass is to get it clean enough so that it will not foul up your reloading dies. Dirt and grit are the enemies of smooth operation of your reloading press, and dirt in the dies can scratch them and leave marks that will impress themselves into your brass and may cause problems down the line.
This is what I was taught and firmly believe.
It just makes sense.
Old October 3, 2013, 12:51 PM   #16
Sevens

I have the benefit of seeing the "why tumble" issue from both sides because I went years on a shoe string budget where I couldn't convince myself to appropriate the funds for a tumbler.

Keeping filth out of your loading dies is the most obvious.
Being able to -MUCH- better inspect cases is up there, also.

Ones that don't get mentioned nearly as often but are equally as important:

1) Far cleaner handling in every single facet of the operation. Your ammo boxes, the magazines of your handguns (or rifles), the different bowls or bins that you keep or handle brass in, e v e r y t h i n g is far less FILTHY and keep in mind that we are talking about a level of filth and dirt here that isn't simply annoying, much of this stuff is just plain unhealthy. Sure, the associated risks aren't ridiculous, but certain other behaviors can & do exacerbate these risks -- including occasional eating, drinking, smoking, eye-rubbing, nose picking, ear diddling, maybe an open cut (especially on the hands) but the big one is your children or grand children, especially if they wish to spend a little quality time in the midst or on the perimeter of your hobby. Children's risks from exposure to this particular kind of filthy is -far- more dangerous than it is to adults.

2) Pride. And pride simply can go further than just having a good lookin' boxes of shootables gleaming up at you on a sunny day. A decent looking product can promote and affirm your own confidence in what you're feeding your firearms. And what does a little bit of confidence do to your shooting? The answer should be obvious. If it's not obvious, there's a chance you have some room for improvement.
Old October 3, 2013, 01:35 PM   #17
maillemaker

You can make perfectly functional ammo using dirty brass.

Dirty brass substantially increases the amount of physical effort to operate the reloading equipment. It therefore is also putting more wear and tear on the equipment.

Steve
Old October 3, 2013, 02:22 PM   #18
jcwit

I can get from point A to point B in a rusted out Yugo.

However it is not what I drive, far from it.

I can reload dirty, blackened, corroded cases and shoot them.

However it is not what I shoot, far from it.
Old October 3, 2013, 05:36 PM   #19
oldandslow

hb, 10/4/13

There is a difference between cleaning and tumbling brass. You must clean the used brass in some way to get rid of the foreign material on the case wall. You can do this simply with just a paper towel or you can use more expensive methods that will also shine up your cases.

I've reloaded over 90,000 cases on my Dillon SDB and 650 using only the paper towel method. It takes 6 seconds per case to clean and inspect the case for flaws. I've had no scratched dies or missed case cracks or other horror stories that other people complain about. The ammo shoots just as well with a tarnished case as it does with a shiny case.

That being said I also bought a Stainless-Steel-pin rotary tumbling setup a couple of years ago and I do like the appearance of the shiny cases. Do they shoot any better? No. So don't let others sway you into thinking that tumbling is a necessity. It isn't. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old October 3, 2013, 05:37 PM   #20
Guilty

Besides the pride of accomplishment that comes from reloading with clean and shiny brass, it easier to spot defects when the brass has been cleaned.
Old October 3, 2013, 06:57 PM   #21
cdoc42

I must be tumble-nuts! I tumble fired cases to clean them before resizing, then I toss them back in for another hour after resizing to get the lube off. Since I resize the shoulder back 0.002" or so, I'm not sure a layer of lube in between the case and chamber wall is a good thing.
Old October 3, 2013, 07:08 PM   #22
bt380

I inspect my brass w/ a large lighted magnifying lens used for electronic circuit board inspections. I only sonic clean my brass.
Old October 3, 2013, 07:08 PM   #23
Nick_C_S

Stevens, you smoke at the loading bench?

Actually, I like your post. I think these things you mention - even, and maybe especially, the intangibles about cleaning/polishing your brass.

Just to add on, it not only gives you confidence out at the range, it gives the others around you confidence in you. Perceptions are important.
Old October 3, 2013, 10:00 PM   #24
Daggitt

I don't know. Why clean anything? You aren't still wasting good water bathing too are you ? It is certainly not necessary is it ?
Old October 3, 2013, 10:30 PM   #25
serf 'rett

Less stress on reloading equipment and equipment operator. Easier inspection.