The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 17, 2010, 01:24 AM   #1
HunterT

40mm Ammo

Hi there, it's me again.
I was wondering what kinds of ammo I could get for a 40 mm grenade launcher(without getting on some govt watch list) and if I could reload my own 40mm ammo(I think it has something to do with .38 blanks).

Many thanks in advance,
Hunter
Old June 17, 2010, 01:38 AM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

40mm ammo is listed as a dangerous device.

Every round must have an NFA tax stamp and be registered with the federal government.

There was a thread a while back on a 40mm forum about a guy loading his own rounds, pics and all...lets just say his hand and lower arm looked like a bowl of spaghetti...
Old June 17, 2010, 02:23 AM   #3
PTK

For non-explosive 40mm ammo, it's easy. Buy "Grog's" 40mm reloading CD(s). Follow instructions.
Old June 17, 2010, 03:34 AM   #4
David Hineline

The launcher is regulated as a destructive device. Explosive rounds will also be regulated. Smoke, pepper, practice chalk, incindeary all should be ok.

The beehive round fires 18 22.r shells at one time for quite a punch.
Old June 17, 2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Skans

Quote:
The beehive round fires 18 22.r shells at one time for quite a punch.
I've always wondered about that Beehive round. As it fires more than one round with the pull of a trigger, why was it never classified as a machinegun? It is my understanding that Beehives can still be manufactured and sold without restriction (I believe that it is only the launcher that needs registration). Does anyone know if this is correct?
Old June 17, 2010, 01:22 PM   #6
David Hineline

The beehive is a current production item and un regulated
Old June 17, 2010, 02:22 PM   #7
HunterT

Wow Thanks for all the replies.
If reloading 40 mm ammo is dangerous, then I'll scrap that and keep my hands.
I think Practice rounds and the beehive rounds sound best. I don't really feel like gassing anything or blowing anything up.

Thanks
Old June 19, 2010, 10:01 PM   #8
medalguy

The 40mm practice rounds for the M203 simply used a .38 blank cartridge which can be pushed out after firing and a new one inserted and it is ready to go again. The blue capped rounds have an orange powder in the cap and when it impacts the cap braks open and the powder allows you to see where it hit. The problem is reusing the blue pastic caps. They can be salvaged and reglued only so many times until they look like a miniature Tiffany lampshade. They are very safe to reload, no powder or explosive is used.
Old June 20, 2010, 12:47 PM   #9
BBroadside

If anyone has ever patterned one of those 18x22 Beehive rounds, I'd love to see the pictures.
Old June 26, 2010, 08:18 PM   #10
cannonfire

Quote:
incindeary all should be ok.
how are incindary rounds not restricted... they cause just as much damage as a HE round, just a different kind of damage...
Old June 26, 2010, 08:34 PM   #11
teeroux

Quote:
I've always wondered about that Beehive round. As it fires more than one round with the pull of a trigger, why was it never classified as a machinegun? It is my understanding that Beehives can still be manufactured and sold without restriction (I believe that it is only the launcher that needs registration). Does anyone know if this is correct?
It only fires once with one pull of the trigger. It just happens to fire more than one chamber. If it were to be classed as a machine gun numerous double barrel shotguns would fit that definition.
Old June 29, 2010, 09:18 AM   #12
Skans

Quote:
It only fires once with one pull of the trigger. It just happens to fire more than one chamber. If it were to be classed as a machine gun numerous double barrel shotguns would fit that definition.
Shotguns only fire one shot with the pull of the trigger. My understanding is that if an o/u shotgun was modified to fire two shots at the same time, it would be classified as a machinegun. I've also been told in another discussion that modifying a COP .357 (4-barrel pepperbox pistol) to fire more than 1 shot at a time would make it a machinegun (this was done for the movie blade-runner)

1 trigger pull......more than one shot fired = machine gun. That is how the Beehive works.
Old June 30, 2010, 03:30 AM   #13
David Hineline

The Beehive isn't a firearm, it's a chamber/caliber adapter, since it's not a gun it's kind of hard for it to be a machinegun.
Old June 30, 2010, 07:08 AM   #14
teeroux

Quote:
My understanding is that if an o/u shotgun was modified to fire two shots at the same time, it would be classified as a machinegun.
Yes but there are already double barrled shotguns made with double set triggers that work in which the forward trigger fires one barrel and the rear both(usually sxs). The propper way of firing such a gun is to pull the front trigger first and the rear second. If the rear is pulled first both barrels are fired. Its just the way they used to be made. Even though more than one cartrige is discharged the gun only fired once.
One function of the trigger, one shot, just two cartridges.
Old February 7, 2012, 04:47 PM   #15
itcvon

40mm shell casings

Trying to find someone that has and is successfully loading these 40mm cases for use as training rounds. I have plenty to get rid of. Were you successful in your quest to reload?
Old February 7, 2012, 06:47 PM   #16
Romeo 33 Delta

Just reading these 40mm threads brings back fond memories of my M-79 ... it was/is an excellent weapon and you'ld be surprised at how good you'ld get with it if you used it regularly.
Old February 8, 2012, 08:48 AM   #17
Skans

I recall seeing anti-barricade rounds for 37mm launchers at gun shows back in the early to mid '90's. They were fairly long casings with a large rounded projectile. What exactly are these rounds? They didn't appear to be regulated since they weren't made for the 40mm launchers.
Old February 8, 2012, 12:30 PM   #18
mboylan

HE rounds are pretty much legally unobtainable for mere mortals. You need an ATF approved magazine, a license for explosives and a $200l tax on each one. Incinderaries are as restricted.

Last edited by mboylan; February 8, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old February 9, 2012, 10:47 PM   #19
Jaymo

Double triggers on a SxS shotgun only fire one barrel per trigger.
IIRC, front trigger fires right barrel and rear trigger fires left barrel.
There's no reason or need for them to have been designed to fire both barrels with one trigger, at once.
You risk cracking the stock by dumping both barrels at once.
Double triggers were for firing 2 shots in rapid succession, such as hunting upland game. Single triggers do the same job with one less trigger.
If one trigger fires both barrels at once, you need to have it repaired.

Double set triggers were used on some rifles to give you a light trigger pull.
Double set, single phase triggers require you to pull the the rear(usually) trigger first, to "set" the trigger/sear for a light pull, and don't allow you to fire without first setting it.
Double set, double phase triggers allow you to set the trigger for a light pull, or just pull the front trigger without setting it first, giving you a normal trigger pull.
Old February 15, 2012, 07:38 AM   #20
dascottsman

I hate to seem like a complete idiot, but it looks like I am going to have to stick my neck out and ask. Is it really worth all the trouble to go with the 40mm, or just stick with a 37 and reload your own shells if you aren't looking to to find HE or incindiary?
I have even seen "bird bombs" at the gun shows for the 37 mm that would lob around 50 yards, then boom!!!!! Ddesigned to scare birds off of your property. I would guess in this instance the definition of birds is fairly loose.
Old February 15, 2012, 09:06 AM   #21
Willie Lowman

Honest to goodness 40mm HE rounds are made of Unobtanium AFAIK.

40mm is a Destructive Device. 37mm is typically a flare gun and not registered. I have seen some 37mm launchers papered as DDs so they can fire lethal rounds.

In my opinion the real use of either one is very limited. The cool factor is pretty high though.
Old February 15, 2012, 09:40 AM   #22
Skans

But, what about tear gas and anti-barricade rounds that can be fired from a 37mm launcher? Are these regulated items or not? I used to see them being sold at gun shows in the early '90's and always wondered what their status was. The folks selling them said they were not regulated since they fit in the 37mm flare launchers - I was never too sure of that, but they didn't seem to have any concerns selling them.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:13 AM   #23
dascottsman

SKANS-- That was what I was thining. You canstill buy various reload kits for the 37mm, so in a serious situation, differenttypes of loads could be loaded and produced. There were very many different types of 37mm rounds being sold out there 10 years ago. I was under the same impression, that they do not have to be registered unless they are 40mm.

Quote:
In my opinion the real use of either one is very limited. The cool factor is pretty high though.
This was my initial feling also, just wanted to see if anyone could come up with a reason to go all in on a 40mm, instead of running all that $$ into a more extensive 37mm setup.

Back on topic now--- not trying to hi-jack your thread!!
Old February 18, 2012, 03:37 AM   #24
HunterT

Since people seem to be interested in this thread again, no I never did get around to reloading any 40mm ammo, never got around to getting an M79 either...
Old February 20, 2012, 04:54 PM   #25
MLR Distributing

37mm leagality

OK, let me see if I can help clear up some of this. Remember I am not an attorney.

All 40mm are restricked and require register papwork unless they are demilled and rendered useless. The exception to the rule is a 40mm with a 37mm non-rifled barrel which would be a tittle one firearm. Most 37mm's do not require paperwork unless they are in possession with anti personel rounds or they have rifled barrel. This was a ruling made by ATF some years ago!

Ok, "Anti-Personel" round is any round that was specifically made to injure or kill someone like batons, bean bags, rubber bullets/pellets, bunker busters and so on.

"Possession" - the meaning of it is very vague! Some say "in same location" and some say "in the launcher itself". I have no knowledge of ATF ever putting in writing the definition of this term. It's kind of like full auto groups and semi auto firearms. I would not personally have anti personel rounds in the same loacation as a non-registered launcher just like I would not have full auto parts in same location as a semi auto firearm.

Other rounds. Last year ATF ruled that manufacturing and sales of explosive rounds "Bird Bombs", was illegal without proper ATF explosive license. This does not only apply to 37mm but to any type of explosive round such as 15mm and 12 gauge. I am thinking it only applies to new production because you still see them for sale at gun shows. But do not quote me on that.

So what can you shoot without having to register your launcher? Smoke, flares, star burst, parachutte flares and stuff like that. I need to caution you that if any of these type rounds are used in an "anti-personel" type situation, it could deem your launcher as a destructive device and now you broke the law!

Beehive was not manufatured for the 37mm but if it was it would require the launcher to be registered. Remember firing ammo that is manufactured to fire from a registered firearm, shotgun/rifle, from a non-registered weapon, launcher, is not legal! So using the adaptors to shoot shotgun shells from your launcher would put it into the registered classification.

This is just a breif overview and by all means is not complete. Make sure you also check state and local laws because they could be different from federal requirements.

I hope this helps!

Mark