The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 12, 2010, 09:11 PM   #1
coachseeley

S&W 45LC trigger job

I have a S&W 5" 45LC, and the double action pull is pretty stout. Has anyone had success with a trigger job on your Smith N Frame (I'm guessing 44 or 45 caliber input will work). I hear that if the pull is too light, the hammer won't kick start the primer... any thoughts?
Thanks,
Steven
Old August 12, 2010, 09:56 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

There is no reason the trigger pull of an N frame S&W in .45 Colt would be any heavier than one in .357 or .44. Unless something is wrong with that gun, the trigger pull can be smoothed and lightened the same as any other S&W.

Since the hammer on an N frame is large and heavy, the spring weight can be reduced some without danger of misfires but, as with any such work, the revolver should be fired at least a couple of hundred rounds to make sure there is no problem.

May I suggest, though, that you might not have the experience to do the work yourself and might want to consult a gunsmith.

Jim
Old August 13, 2010, 08:42 AM   #3
dahermit

There are two ways of doing it correctly. 1) Take it to a competent smith. 2) If you are very good with tools and have good mechanical ability, buy the appropriate Kuhnhausen shop manual, and get Micklic's video showing how it is done.
Old August 13, 2010, 09:55 AM   #4
mete

Properly done as on my old M29 you can get a very smooth 9 lbs DA and 2.5 lbs SA .It is fully reliable and has seen a great many rounds . BTW it has a 3/8" smooth trigger.