The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 26, 2009, 07:23 AM   #1
PredatorHunter

Spring scouting for fall bear...

Now that I have finally draw the Colorado Fall Bear tag I wanted. The wife and I spent the day in the mountains. We had planned on a half-day hike and see some country, I hadn't been in since last year. More then anything, just get out of the house. I didn't expect to see anything so I opted to leave the spotting scope and the video camera at home. Boy was that a mistake!

We were hiking up to a nob so we could spend some time glassing two big burned off drainages. I saw something across the drainage. It resembled an elks rump at first glanse. I put my glasses to my eyes and saw the "umpa loompa" of a big old fat bear. But, he wasn't the right color. He was a light tan (almost white) with choclate face and legs.

He fed along the burn for 20 or 30 minutes but never paying us any attention. He was pushing over stumps like nothing and flipping rocks as big as a volkswagen's hood. He was thin from the winter but I would guess him still in the mid 250's.

We watched him until he fed over the ridge. Unfortuantly, when I ask if she wanted to get closer she said "NO!" I said How in the world are you gonna ever hunt bears?? If you won't get any closer then 600 yards?

Sorry for the horrible pictures. These were taken with a personal camera. He's pretty easy to see look for the light spot.

Some other pictures from the day.

She always has to making these "scouting trips" into "family photo op's"...

The ridge behind us is where he was. He went over the top near the rock on the upper left corner of the picture.

Rains coming... time to go home.

Old May 26, 2009, 06:59 PM   #2
leadbutt

Damn pretty county side, but I'm too old to pack out of there!!!!
Old May 29, 2009, 07:20 PM   #3
James R. Burke

Nice country. Good luck on the hunt, seeing that would have made me happy, but like the previous post lots of work packing out of there.