The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 26, 2009, 09:27 PM   #26
V.Hunter

Quote:
You do not need to win the lottery to suppress. My silencers just cost $20-30 plus tax. Of course the lathe and other tools set me back about $2000. Making a few cans put me in the black though.
I am sure the ATF would have a field day with this thread as I am all but positive unless licensed it is not only illegal to possess but also manufacture them. If I am wrong in my thinking please let me know. As far as I know you must apply for a permit and go through a background check, to boot they are not actually legal in all states.

I may be wrong but the last time I inquired about one you have to apply for a permit and pay a no-refundable fee just to be considered.

I'm not giving anyone grief for doing what they want simply stating that they may want to refrain from posting it on the internet.
Old November 26, 2009, 10:05 PM   #27
James K
Member In Memoriam

You don't need a license to make or own a suppressor. You do need to file an application to make or purchase one and pay a tax ($200). Only if you make them for sale or deal in them do you need a license. Nothing in this thread mentions doing anything illegal, at least under federal law.

Three comments, though.

First, why would anyone buy a .22-250 and then load subsonic rounds to use a suppressor?

Second, the sonic "crack" is not usually very noticeable from the firing line. As pointed out, it is quite noticeable and distinctive when down range or in the pits. The "crack" is exactly the same as the "sonic boom" experienced from jet aircraft and the cause is the same, though obviously less as the bullet is smaller than a jet plane.

Third, the Maxim silencer really was a silencer. When a Model 1903 rifle is fired with the Maxim silencer, the firing pin click can be heard. With no other significant sound, the sonic crack becomes much more noticeable.

FWIW, I have no idea what a Maxim silencer would cost to make, but it would be a lot more than the cans curently being made. If in doubt, look at the patent, which has been widely printed.

Jim
Old November 27, 2009, 02:05 AM   #28
johnwilliamson062

Why a suppressor

Just so everyone knows, this is yet another project I have not yet found the funs to follow through with yet, although it is still on the list.

One of the main reasons to get one is not for yourself or those shooting with you, but the peron who lives 300 yards away and is trying to take a nap on their couch with windows open when you are shooting on your home range.
The suppressor will dull the sound along with lowering its intensity.
Old November 27, 2009, 11:03 AM   #29
Willie Lowman

Ahh, suppressors...

Nothing works faster to get Fuds lined up to show how little they know about the National Firearms Act and demand to know why anyone would want to lower the decibels of a high powered rifle.
Old December 1, 2009, 09:34 AM   #30
VUPDblue

heh, ain't that the truth...
Old December 1, 2009, 05:00 PM   #31
Skans

Maybe we can get some hippy-dippy types to get on our side of the suppressor issue. Noise polution - you'd think that the general population would get behind folks using muflers on their guns. In fact, I'm surprised that the antis haven't made the addition of an internal sound baffle a requirement on all guns

Aren't these the same folks that want cops to arrest Harley riders who run straight pipes???
Old December 1, 2009, 07:23 PM   #32
RAnb

Quote:
I am sure the ATF would have a field day with this thread as I am all but positive unless licensed it is not only illegal to possess but also manufacture them. If I am wrong in my thinking please let me know. As far as I know you must apply for a permit and go through a background check, to boot they are not actually legal in all states.

I may be wrong but the last time I inquired about one you have to apply for a permit and pay a no-refundable fee just to be considered.

I'm not giving anyone grief for doing what they want simply stating that they may want to refrain from posting it on the internet.
I do not know where you are getting your ideas from on gun law, but unless you are talking to a lawyer that is experienced in NFA law or actually reading the law yourself, then you really doing yourself a disservice in remaining so ignorant and posting about it here. Is it really too much to take a brief look at the ATF regulations before telling us about permits and licenses that do not exist?

Twice I referred to a tax and ATF authorization in my posts above, did this not clue you in? Where is this license and permit stuff coming from anyway? How are you promoting gun ownership by posting this stuff? Your claim of an “ATF field day” and “not giving anyone grief” are contradictory. Frankly I feel insulted every time I see someone suggesting that I am not obeying the law.

Here is how you get authorization to make, buy or sell a title 2 weapon. Obtain the ATF form 1 (to make) or ATF form 4 (to buy) from the internet or free from the ATF. Fill it out in duplicate, attach your photos and finger print cards. Obtain the local sheriff’s (judge, DA) signature. Send it in with form 5330.20 and a check for $200. The ATF approves it within about 4 months now if it is all filled out correctly. If there is a problem, then you get a refund or a form showing what needs to be fixed before approval.

Here is an example of an ATF form 1.

There is no license to merely buy, sell, make, own or inherit a title 2 weapon. The only ones who need a license are those who import, manufacture or deal in title 2 weapons as a business. This is the FFL and SOT class 1, 2 or 3.

Ranb
Old December 1, 2009, 07:33 PM   #33
RAnb

Quote:
I would like to clarify something. Proper term for a suppressor is supressor not silencer its suppesor. Its that way because it doesnt muffle all of the inner-workings, just the muzzle blast.
Texas man, do you have some authoritative source for your claim? US law describes suppressors as mufflers or silencers; the word suppressor is not mentioned at all. Suppressor is a relatively term even if it is more accurate at describing what they do.

I prefer to use the word silencer as no one is likely to think I am talking about a flash suppressor when describing my gun mufflers.

Ranb
Old December 1, 2009, 07:42 PM   #34
RAnb

Quote:
First, why would anyone buy a .22-250 and then load subsonic rounds to use a suppressor?
I can tell you why a person would buy a 308 Winchester then use it to shoot subsonic ammo. Versatility. If you have a 1-10 twist in your 308, then it will perform well with any bullet that is 200 grains and lighter even subsonic. 1-8 twist is needed for greater than 200 grains subsonic. While the 22-250 example is a bit less likely to be used (in my opinion), it is not totally useless.

Some people do not want or need a dedicated subsonic rifle; they would rather adjust the scope or hold over for those rare times when they sacrifice range for stealth. It can be difficult to hit a target at more than 200 yards when subsonic.

I have a 1-12 twist suppressed 308 target rifle. I would not even bother to use subsonic ammo in it as I would have to shoot 150 grain to keep it from yawing. I have suppressed 300 and 338 whispers that are much better than any 1-10 or 1-12 twist .308 win when subsonic.

Ranb