The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 5, 2013, 04:25 PM   #1
BrokenBottles

Open carry while visiting another state?

I'm visiting some family in Phoenix in a week and was wondering if I could open carry even though I'm not a resident of Arizona.
I can legally posses a gun in California but I've never been able to "wear" my gun out in public, even the ranges I go to don't allow it, so the chance to get to open carry is kind of hard to think about.

I'm taking my gun for sure and I know that I legally can take it to the range that's fairly close to my mother's house so I'm not taking my gun purely for the chance to open carry.
Old January 5, 2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Alabama Shooter

There is no limitation for open carry to only residents in any state that allows open carry.
Old January 5, 2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

A non-resident who is not prohibited from possessing a gun may lawfully carry, either openly or concealed, in Arizona. However, you will want to be sure that you understand the applicable law. There are places you may not carry your gun. A visit to Handgunlaw.us would be in order.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old January 5, 2013, 10:32 PM   #4
BrokenBottles

Cool. Thank you guys.
Old January 5, 2013, 11:35 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Legal guides for travel....

If you travel a lot or want up to date legal information from a atty, see; www.gunlawguide.com . David Wong, a well known atty also sells a gun & knife law guide for all 50 US states & territories.

Stay safe.
Clyde
Old January 8, 2013, 04:56 AM   #6
bitttorrrent

Wow, Arizona is awesome.

I can't do anything in the 3 states I travel in, IL,IN and MI and you are not even a resident of Arizona and you can visit and carry a gun.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:32 AM   #7
ClydeFrog

VT & AK....

To my limited knowledge, VT & AK have the same open carry laws.
Vermont was really the first in the nation to allow concealed carry by any adult who could own or possess a loaded firearm by law. No license or permit was needed.
Now that's real freedom!

Clyde
Old January 8, 2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Qtiphky

MIchigan?

I live in Michigan and feel that our laws are pretty accomodating. We have concealed carry and do reciprocate with just about every other state that has concealed carry and Michigan is an open carry state as well. Why do you feel Michigan is pretty difficult?
Old January 8, 2013, 02:04 PM   #9
hermannr

the poster is from IL...MI does not recognize non-resident license...and as a resident of IL, at least at the moment, he does not have the ability to obtain a resident license...it just does not exist.

IN allows CC and OC also, but again, you must have a license.

Close to IL WI, OH and KY allow unlicensed OC.
Old January 8, 2013, 03:45 PM   #10
FlyFish

Quote:
To my limited knowledge, VT & AK have the same open carry laws.
Vermont was really the first in the nation to allow concealed carry by any adult who could own or possess a loaded firearm by law. No license or permit was needed.
Open-carry for both residents and non-residents is legal here in New Hampshire as well, with the one exception that "carrying" in a vehicle is not considered open-carry even if the firearm is fully visible.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:45 AM   #11
Qtiphky

hermanrr- I'm not following. Michigan does reciprocate with just about every other state. Is it because he is from Illinois and they don't have CC or open carry and that is why he can't carry in Michigan? Which would make sense, he doesn't have a license to carry so how can there be reciprocity.