The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 14, 2008, 09:10 AM   #1
Super-Dave

3" slugs vs 2.75" slugs

Do the 3" 12 gauge slugs really out perform the 2.75" slugs when it comes to hunting?

Should I buy and use the 3" slug instead of the 2.75"?

I know for most game it might not matter, but lets say it was for bear.

George Orwell
Old April 14, 2008, 10:33 AM   #2
Full-choke

I really think it is not so much the length but what is behind them. I had some Breneke slugs that hit like the Hammer of Thor but wouldn't shoot worth a darn out of my shotgun. The ones that my Frnachi favors are the Federal Tru-ball slugs which seem to meet my performance standards. It took a doe no questions asked this past fall. I think the only considerable difference is that of recoil coming from the extra powder. But, IMO I see no need to use 3" Magnum loads because you won't need the power unless you are making a very poor shot already.

F-C
Old April 14, 2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Iosco-Bucks

I guess you'd have to try the 3" for yourself. We shoot the 2 3/4 because they're available. I've shot 3" .000 buck, but never tried the 3" slugs. I'm sure the recoil is more, but for what gains.
Old April 14, 2008, 11:18 PM   #4
predator86

i have killed deer with both and after i dropped a 220 pound buck in his tracks with one shot with 2 3/4 incher than i asked myself,"if a 2 3/4 inch is 3 dollars, and the 3'' is 5 dollars and they both do the exact same thing....why am i wasting my money???

i shoot nothing but 2 3/4'' now....3" slugs are for people that need a one ton dually to haul firewood....
Old April 15, 2008, 03:37 AM   #5
Rigby1962

One thing that I have noticed is the 2 3/4" is consistently more accurate then the 3". I dont know why this is true in the smooth bore although I have had some smooth bores shoot 3" as good as the 2 3/4". I never have had 3" shoot as good as the 2 3/4" in rifled barrels. The modern too shallow, too fast 12 gauge rifling just doesnt grip the sabot well enough. The sabot just skids across the rifling. The 2 3/4" seems to be just slow enough to catch the rifling to give decent accuracy. Which is why I sold my rifled barrels and stay with smooth bores. If its just deer I shoot the 2 3/4" but if its for something bigger I go with 3" that will shoot well from my smooth bore.
Old April 16, 2008, 04:23 AM   #6
phil mcwilliam

I can vouch for 2 3/4" Brenneke rifled slugs. Some 20 years ago I was on a month long hunting & fishing trip in the top end of Australia. At that time the National Parks & Wildlife decided to eradicate feral water buffalo from northern Australia due to concerns that a turbuculousis outbreak may spread to the cattle industry.We were mainly up there pig shooting so the biggest rifles we had were 308, but we also had a Browning A-5 semi auto shotgun with 2 3/4" Brenneke slugs. We were invited to several water buffalo culls & the slugs dropped buffalo in their tracks when shooting at 50 yards. I personally accounted for 4 water buffalo with 5 shots fired within 10 seconds with rifled slugs from the Browning.I now reflect on those days when I see water buffalo guided hunts with a $3000 trophy fee per buffalo.Although we didn't have 3" slugs to compare(probably would have used them if we had them), I can't fault the 2 3/4" rifled slugs on water buffalo at up to 50 yards.
Old April 18, 2008, 06:30 PM   #7
crowbeaner

My gun only chambers 2 3/4 inchers, so that's what I buy. NO deer has gotten back up from them. I shoot the Federal F127RS elcheapos.
Old April 18, 2008, 06:50 PM   #8
Boris Bush

Try both. I had a 12 gauge slug gun that liked anykind of 3" better than 2.75"

The 12 gauge I have right now prefers 2.75", go figure. Anywho, the real worlds difference at 100 yards is soooooooo small that either would work just fine for me if I wanted extra power from the 3"..............
Old April 26, 2008, 08:32 AM   #9
castnblast

Currious...I was thinking of trying my new Franchi next year to take a deer...I've taken deer w/ everything but a knife and a shotgun... Don't think I'll try the knife, but would like the shotgun. Have any of you guys used the skeet cylinder or does it work better w/ the improved? I know slugs seem to prefer the open chokes. Obviously I'm going to try both, but I was currious what your specific experience has been w/ these chokes.
Old April 28, 2008, 09:33 AM   #10
Full-choke

Castnblast,

I took my deer this year with my Franchi I-12 and a cylinder choke tube. I don't know what model you have but I never tried anything else after taking the first few shots with that thing. It shoots a little high and to the left, but if you get used to it with open sights, I put 3-shots touching at 100 yards while standing like I would in a woods. That gun is so deadly accurate with slugs it's scary. Just a pointer, if you are using a smoothbore like I was, I shot that group with the Federal Tru-Ball slugs, and I will never buy another slug as long as they make them and I have that shotty.

F-C
Old April 29, 2008, 09:22 AM   #11
echo6mike

I've never had any problems putting deer down with 2 3/4" slugs...rifled or sabots. I've never seen the need to go with the extra 1/4" shells.
Old May 2, 2008, 02:17 PM   #12
castnblast

Thanks, F/C...I'm shooting a smooth bore. I have some of those slugs on hand. I have the I-12 limited. I got to thinking about it after patterning some buck shot. I never had a gun that patterned it as well as this gun did. At 30 yds w/ a full choke w/ 0/ I got 9 pellets in a 10" plate. That's really impressive. I figured it would do the same w/ a slug once I find it's POI. Thanks for the response!
Old May 2, 2008, 02:37 PM   #13
Full-choke

I-12 Limited...I only dream such a beautiful gun! Mine is one of the camo models, but I wouldn't trade it for the world for another hunting gun. Yea, I think you will be pleased with the performance. I was hashing over the idea of buying a dedicated slug gun but that one shoots so well I can't justify it.

F-C
Old May 2, 2008, 06:17 PM   #14
Mainah

Quote:
I can vouch for 2 3/4" Brenneke rifled slugs. Some 20 years ago I was on a month long hunting & fishing trip in the top end of Australia. At that time the National Parks & Wildlife decided to eradicate feral water buffalo from northern Australia due to concerns that a turbuculousis outbreak may spread to the cattle industry.We were mainly up there pig shooting so the biggest rifles we had were 308, but we also had a Browning A-5 semi auto shotgun with 2 3/4" Brenneke slugs. We were invited to several water buffalo culls & the slugs dropped buffalo in their tracks when shooting at 50 yards. I personally accounted for 4 water buffalo with 5 shots fired within 10 seconds with rifled slugs from the Browning.I now reflect on those days when I see water buffalo guided hunts with a $3000 trophy fee per buffalo.Although we didn't have 3" slugs to compare(probably would have used them if we had them), I can't fault the 2 3/4" rifled slugs on water buffalo at up to 50 yards.
That's an awesome story, thanks.
Old May 2, 2008, 07:40 PM   #15
mikenbarb

I shoot 2 3/4 Hornady SST's out of my slug gun and have taken deer out to 200yds and a big black bear at 125yds with authority and still had power to spare but the eyes cant go any further than that. Im sure you could go 225 or maybe 250 with the rite setup.
Old May 3, 2008, 12:11 AM   #16
evan9201

the only thing your going to gain with 3in slugs is recoil the regular ones already have enough.. take it easy on your shoulder and shoot the 2 3/4.
Old May 10, 2008, 05:57 PM   #17
blutob

2 3/4 inch have always done the job for me. Actually, I hunted whitetail deer for 30 years with an Ithaca 16 guage model 37 Deerslayer, 2 3/4", and a well hit deer never made it past 50 yds after being hit. I even dropped one at 90 yards with one shot. I still use that gun when still hunting since it is so light, but for stand hunting I now use a 12 guage since I cannot scope the Ithaca (although a scope isn't really necessary). I use 2 3/4" Federal trueball. 3" slugs are of no use unless you enjoy shoulder separation.
Old May 11, 2008, 05:38 AM   #18
shortwave

although i`ve shot them, don`t personnally see all the hype for using 3". have used 2 3/4" for 35 years and have never had trouble with them. in areas i hunt, your lucky to get 100yd shot. many friends and brothers of mine bought alot of the koolaid about 3" when they started getting popular. i can`t see that there bag limits have increased any. my brother(who shoots 3") complains about recoil with his shotgun. i tease him when we hunt and tell him that he likes pain so let me punch you in the shoulder and then you can shoot my 2 3/4`s