The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2005, 07:40 PM   #1
jeff6strings

RCBS Rock Chucker

I plan on purchasing a used RCBS Rock Chucker. Besides the scales and other accessories, what dies and other press items do I need to load 9mm rounds? Is case lubricant needed?

Thanks for any help.

Jeff
Old January 20, 2005, 07:54 PM   #2
redrooster2

I would recommend that you purchase a die set with a carbide sizing die. If you use a carbide sizer, no case lube is needed.
Old January 20, 2005, 08:05 PM   #3
osirus101

i agree with the above state ment and you will also need a shell holder.
Old January 20, 2005, 09:23 PM   #4
Leftoverdj

I'd suggest a better priming system. One at a time with the pivoting arm will make you nuts. The one I prefer is the Lee AutoPrime II that mounts on the press and has a hundred primer magazine. One of its virtues is that it uses the standard shellholder so you don't need special shellholders for your priming tool. The tube type priming tools make me very nervous.

I also insist on being able to mount a powder measure on top of a hollow expender ball. This eliminates an entire step in the process. The two such systems I have used are the Lyman Multi Expander Kit which will mount Lyman or RCBS powder measures and standard Lee die which mounts the AutoDisk measure. If you go with the Lee, get the Pro version of the AutoDisk and get the adjustable disk.
Old January 21, 2005, 01:41 AM   #5
Nnobby45

Dillon

Buy seperate seating and taper crimp dies. Strongly advise against dies that do more than one operation--for example, a die that is trying to crimp while the bullet is still being seated performs neither job well. A die that sizes the case while performing the case mouth belling is not good because the case mouth has to expand tremendously so that when it is pulled back through the sizer, there will be some case mouth expanding still present. Carbide all the way.

I love my Rockchucker dearly, and have loaded many good rifle rounds with that excellent press and it's good leverage system. However, when it comes to loading pistol, it is very time consuming to have to run each round through three or four different dies. If you're gonna be a handgun loader, I'd recommend a Dillon 550B. One loaded round with each pull of the handle is something you'll appreciate.
Old January 21, 2005, 07:54 AM   #6
Steve in PA

What's wrong with the priming system on the Rockchucker? I've been using it since I started reloading almost 15 years ago, I've never had a problem with it. Actually, I rather like it.
Old January 21, 2005, 08:00 AM   #7
Jailbirdwatcher

I agree, my rock chucker has thousands of rounds on it and after I'm gone one of my sons will no doubt produce thousands more, and after he's gone one of his sons will no doubt do the same. I also have a Lee 1000 that I load 357 magnums, and a Dillon 550, but I still load all my rifle ammo on the old rock chucker. You will never regret buying one. I also like the RCBS primer tool and I use a RCBS Uniflow powder measure (rifle powder) and a Lee Perfect powder measure. The Lee is really good for ball powder and not bad for flake powder, but not so perfect for the extruded powders I use in my rifle cartridges. I have an RCBS balance beam scale (505 I think) and while it's not as "high tech" as some of the electronic scales now on the market, it is very accurate. Other than that you might look into a dial caliper and eventually a case trimmer (there are many types available) and maybe some small stuff like a primer tray and a primer pocket brush. Finally, the most important item you will need are some load books. There are a bunch of free ones out there (put out by powder manufacturers and such) but I have found the ones put out by Speer, Hornady, and Nosler to be most invalueable.
Old January 21, 2005, 12:25 PM   #8
carpfisher

You pretty much can't go wrong by purchasing one of the "Starter" kits offerd both RCBS, Lyman, etc.
Go carbide and forget about case lube.
I have loaded way to many .45 in my RCBS and finally got tired of the siongle stage loading. Got a Dillion last week and thought I died and gone to heaven. I was loading 400 Rds per hour within 2 hours of it hitting the front step.
Go Blue!(Dillion blue that is!)

Greg
Old January 21, 2005, 06:42 PM   #9
Leftoverdj

Steve, what's wrong with the priming system that came with my Rockchucker many years ago is that you have to pick up every primer individually, place it in the little cup, pivot the arm forward, and prime at the wrong end of the stroke. Not only is this tedious, there is a chance of contaminating the primer with oil from your skin.

I know that there is a version available that uses a tube magazine for the primers but I have heard entirely too many reports of the whole tube chainfiring and shooting holes in the ceiling.
Old January 22, 2005, 07:32 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

generic stuff

Let's see
Attached Files
File Type: txt MyReloadingAdvice.txt (6.6 KB, 102 views)
Old January 22, 2005, 05:53 PM   #11
Steve in PA

My RCBS system uses the primer tube feed, and like I said, I've been using it for years without a problem.

I've also in all my reloading years, in all the internet bulletin boards that I belong to, in all the magazines and articles I've read on reloading, never, ever heard of the "chain-firing" you describe.

Sounds like another urban myth to me.
Old January 22, 2005, 06:04 PM   #12
Ozzieman

There is some very good suggestions

The lee auto prime is worth it at 10 times the price, I like to set and watch tv while priming roungs. Its that fool proof and easy.
Next is a have to have.
For loading dies carbide is the only way to go thats true. but if you want flawless operation with 9mm or for that matter any auto loader
a taper crimp die is mandatory, it makes loading so much easier its stupid proof.
Also some of the best money you can spend is on a good meadia case cleaner and do not get a tumbler get one of the vribration cleaners.
I have a rock chucker and yes the primer system works, but compaired to the inexpensive Lee auto prime, its like carring a cap and ball pistol compaired to a Glock, the lee is that quick. I can set down and load 500 44 SP casses with primers while watching tv in less time than I can do 100 with the rock
And I also dont like the way that the rock chucker can apply to much pressure to the primers and deform them.
Old January 22, 2005, 09:06 PM   #13
Nnobby45

The RCBS priming system works, but doesn't have the feel of something like a Sinclair hand seater. Most precision loaders prefer seating the primer so that all are seated with the same amount of pressure. Impossible with the RCBS press system because there's too much leverage. For most handloaders, it's adequate and I'm not criticizing it.

However, the seperate RCBS priming tool with the auto primer feed, either 50 or 100 rd primer tubes is an excellent device. You can prime 100 cases quickly and the sensitivity is good enough that I find myself using it more than the Sinclair hand primer (the most sensitive of all). Of course I'm talking rifle loads here, but I believe it would be faster for loading large volumes of pistol, also, done as a seperate step. I use an RCBS primer pocket uniformer set to just even up the depths of the primer pockets so they're all the same, and I also deburr the flash hole. When priming, I want a more sensitive device for uniform seating. For a loader who doen't take the extra above mentioned steps to improve the quality of his ammo, then the Rockchucker primer feed is fine.