The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 8, 2013, 10:25 PM   #26
Chowder

So I got all my ducks in a row. All the parts needed to build my AR finally, then I realized I didn't order one key part... my barrel nut. I am like a kid on Christmas who parents forgot to buy batteries lol. Oh well, just a bit longer I guess.
Old March 8, 2013, 11:52 PM   #27
BerdanSS

You mean the Troy rail you bought didn't come with a barrel nut?!

The Vtac alpha uses a standard nut right?

Last edited by BerdanSS; March 8, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old March 9, 2013, 12:34 AM   #28
Chowder

It did not come with a barrel nut, I believe the alpha uses a standard free float nut. I am going to go make the round at the local shops to see if someone has one tomorrow. I hope so I have waited so long. But if not... another week of waiting isn't so bad.
Old March 10, 2013, 04:42 PM   #29
Achilles11B

Double check with Troy before buying a barrel nut. Some of the older ones use Troy's proprietary barrel nut while newer iterations utilize the standard AR barrel nut.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:25 PM   #30
Chowder

Quote:
Double check with Troy before buying a barrel nut. Some of the older ones use Troy's proprietary barrel nut while newer iterations utilize the standard AR barrel nut.
Thanks for the info, I will have to check with the shop that I bought the troy off of if I need to order another one. They might be building my upper for me anyway as I just re injured an old ruptured tendon in my right hand.
Old March 15, 2013, 01:18 AM   #31
Chowder

Doubled checked today, the Alpha rail uses a standard barrel nut. This AR should finally be build sometime next week!
Old March 22, 2013, 09:26 PM   #32
Chowder

Finally done! Other than optics, which will be easy. I received my Upper back from the great people at Alaska tactical today. I am so excited but a bit bummed that I will be in a splint for another 4 weeks lol. Here it is.

-Black Rain billet upper receiver
-BCM gunfighter charging handle
-Wilson Combat match stainless barrel 1:9 twist
-Troy 11" alpha rail
-Wilson Combat low profile gas block
-Wilson combat muzzle break

The lower is I mentioned before but it is:

-Black rain Billet receiver
-CMMG lower parts kit w/ JP low power spring and polished trigger
-VLTOR Stock
-BCM Carbine buffer tube
-JP Tuned spring
-Colt Buffer
-Noveski Buttplate

Only things I might add is a BCM MOD 1 Grip as the standard AR style is a bit thin for me and some day I would love suppressor on this.

I Started a few threads on here asking specifics about this build but searching through all the old posts on this forum gave me a lot of the info I needed to build the EXACT AR I was wanting. I am possitive this rifle will be reliable enough spend my life time dropping 'yotes (hopefully) and defending my home .
Old March 22, 2013, 11:47 PM   #33
Marquezj16

Congrats on your magnificent build. Hope you heal fast and get to sending lead down range soon. True test of a build is how it shoots.

BTW, I did not stop after building my first one.
Old March 23, 2013, 12:11 AM   #34
Achilles11B

Great build, looking forward to the range report.
Old March 23, 2013, 02:16 AM   #35
Metal god

That looks real nice and will shoot even better I did not see the BCG on your list . What did you end up with ? Maybe I missed it in a earlier post .

I've been thinking about getting one of those alpha rails . How solid is it ? I'm a little hesitant to get a bolt on . I get the feeling if hit hard enough it would pop off the barrel nut . How does it attach to the nut ? could it come off if the screws stay tight .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; March 23, 2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old March 23, 2013, 12:01 PM   #36
Chowder

Quote:
That looks real nice and will shoot even better I did not see the BCG on your list . What did you end up with ? Maybe I missed it in a earlier post .

I've been thinking about getting one of those alpha rails . How solid is it ? I'm a little hesitant to get a bolt on . I get the feeling if hit hard enough it would pop off the barrel nut . How does it attach to the nut ? could it come off if the screws stay tight .
I got a no name BCG off gunbroker. It was the only reasonably priced BCG I could find but it looks to be good quality. If I have an issue with it I will eventually replace it with a BCM or JP when things start coming back into stock.

The alpha rail is rock solid, It is held with three fairly hefty screws to the standard free float barrel nut and I don't see it coming loose any time soon unless I take it apart. It is also very comfortable.

I am most likely going out to get some scope rings for it today and might have a friend do the trigger pulling to dial it in until my hand is healed. I just want to see what this is capable of haha.
Old March 29, 2013, 12:39 AM   #37
Chowder

New pic with the optics installed. Hoping the weather cooperates this weekend and I can get it sighted in and post some nice targets .

Old April 23, 2013, 12:01 AM   #38
Justice06RR

Great build, congrats.

Are you planning to add a sling and BUIS?
Old April 23, 2013, 01:24 AM   #39
Chowder

Quote:
Great build, congrats.

Are you planning to add a sling and BUIS?
Thanks! I will most likely look for a sling soon for when I take it hunting. As for backup sights I probably wont install any because they will just add weight and never get used. It was build to be a fun plinker/target/hunting rifle and I dont plan on battle or the zombie apocalypse lol. Although I have already tried a couple different optics and am now thinking about a red dot, so who knows what the future of this rifle is. That is kinda the reason I built an AR, I can play with a lot of different setups to depending on my mood.