The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 13, 2010, 01:46 AM   #1
PDXGS

"Vintage" Shotgun Reloading Tools- Any Value to this stuff?

I've been asked by a non-gun-savvy friend if this stuff has any value. It's from his recently-deceased father's collection.
Any ideas....I reload metallics only so I'm also in the dark!
Thanks,
J
Old January 13, 2010, 12:51 PM   #2
madcratebuilder

Evil bay may be the best bet. Their are collectors that do reloads stuff so there is a market for it. Good clear photos bring optimum price.
Old January 14, 2010, 08:27 AM   #3
F. Guffey

The one tool that is very collect able is the brass? primer/crimp tool, I have most of the tools pictured including the adjustable scoop for shot and powder, an accurate tool by today's standard, I do not sell but if the brass tool belong to me and someone offered me $300.00 I would sell.

Other tools including the hand primer make an interesting display, I have old large mouth one gallon jars I fill with items listed, when you get tired of looking at one side, turn the jar.

F. Guffey
Old January 14, 2010, 09:35 AM   #4
jaguarxk120

If you decide to sell, put the stuff up for auction one piece at a time, more money to be made. Pain in the a## but the returns will be greater. Also as stated pictures very good ones sell the items and descriptions, some times implying but not stating the fact such as just like the one Anny Oakley used to reload her shells with creats a lot of intrest.
Old January 19, 2010, 05:47 PM   #5
romer12

antique reloading tools

you can try the following site reference old re loading tools:
antiquereloadingtools.com
Old January 8, 2011, 02:14 AM   #6
THREEDFLYER

Coincidence??

I happen to do a search this evening and found this thread.
I ended up with a few vintage reloading tools recently and thanks to you guys, I believe they have been identified!
Here are photos of a couple items.....
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3378.JPG (88.5 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3381.JPG (95.6 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3390.JPG (112.1 KB, 219 views)
Old January 8, 2011, 07:00 AM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
if the brass tool belong to me and someone offered me $300.00 I would sell.
I guess so.
Most of it isn't worth much but is a boon to those of us that reload black powder and/or use brass shells. I picked up a roll crimper on ebay a couple of years ago for five bucks.
Old January 8, 2011, 08:32 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

There is a lot of collector interest in old reloading tools, mainly those issued by the mililtary or those with names of arms companies. Shotgun tools of the 19th century seem to attract most attention. There is little interest in modern reloading tools except for their original purpose.

Jim
Old January 9, 2011, 11:03 PM   #9
Mike Armstrong

If I had that stuff, I'd just HAVE to buy a black powder double in that guage (what guage is it anyway?) so I could use the tools to load for it.

I've built guns up from a neat barrel I got as part of a trade. Bought guns to shoot shells I got in a garage sale. You know the syndrome......

Another good forum to ask about this kind of stuff is the double gun forum on www.doublegunshop.com/BBS Lots of old shotgun nuts over there, and some of them collect reloading tools.
Old January 10, 2011, 03:06 AM   #10
DG45

I've bought some similar stuff on ebay. None of it cost me very much. I got a much better-looking English-made Dixon & Sons 12 gauge roll crimper with real ebony handles for $18 I think it was, and a tin alloy shot/powder dipper that's adjustible in ounces or drams with a wooden handle that doubles as a 12 Gauge tamp for $12, and a hand primer much like the one pictured for $5.

I got in a real bidding war over a cool-looking big brass shotgun reloading tool that did a lot of stuff but I backed off at $49 when there were still three bidders left. I think it went for $63.

For any of you guys who've never tried rolling your own shotgun shells by hand, the old fashioned way, with tools like this, let me tell you its a hoot.

I use these things only to load "vintage loads" in paper hulls or brass hulls though, and I shoot them in a hundred year +old single barrel Forehand Arms shotgun. It's all just for fun - although I do take the old gun "birding" once in a while just for the kick of occasionally doing things the old fashioned way. I don't really care if I ever see a bird. It just feels good.

For serious business I still use factory shells in my Model 11 auto.
Old January 11, 2011, 06:56 PM   #11
tater134

Definitely some value there.I just bought some similar vintage tools to load my own paper hulled BP shells and they work great.
Old January 11, 2011, 07:28 PM   #12
Hardcase

I'll second what DG45 says. When I show up with my old Janssen and Sons SxS with proper brass shells, after the first shot, I'm the most popular guy at the range!

As far as the value of those tools go, it seems that if you identify them as "Antique Firearms Accessories" or something similar, you'll get a lot more money than if you just auction off "Old Shotgun Reloading Tools". That's what my very unscientific experience on EBay tells me.
Old January 12, 2011, 02:05 AM   #13
DG45

Hardcase is right. Also at least mention the gauge of gun the tool is for. Even better, try try to find out what the tool is intended to be used for and if its still operational before you put it up for auction: You'd be amazed at how much of this stuff is advertised on ebay as simply "old reloading tool". You know who's gonna get zoomed when you see an ad like that.