The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 27, 2009, 10:12 PM   #1
fawcettlee

First AR lower build...ooops!

So I'm in the middle of my first AR lower build and I get to the takedown detent spring/detent pin install.
I'm holding down the pin detent/spring with my knife and reaching for the takedown pin, thinking what's so hard about this? Of course the knife slips and I see the pin detent launched into air arcing towards the bookshelf. Oh feces, I'm thinking. I hear it land and I have to break out the Fenix TK40 to locate the pin detent caught between the bottom shelf and the frame.
I came to realize some truths as I was crawling around the floor...

My wife is right, I really need to vacuum more.
If I find any more change, I can pay for a large latte at Starbucks.
Maybe I need to pay attention when other people say be careful here!

On to the trigger!
Old November 27, 2009, 10:45 PM   #2
10-96

Wait till you move on to a project that requires staking tiny little detent balls! Those blasted little monsters will make you hope, beg, and plead for a merciful massive coronary or something.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 27, 2009, 10:57 PM   #3
rjrivero

Lots of springs and detents to loose track of assembling a lower. You're not the first and I suspect you won't be the last.
Old November 27, 2009, 11:20 PM   #4
DnPRK

Assemble in a large clear plastic bag. When you launch a detent, it will remain in the bag.
Old November 27, 2009, 11:30 PM   #5
fawcettlee

Clear plastic bag!

Now see? I REMEMBERED that as I was holding down the detent. That's when I was thinking, this is supposed to be hard? Just before the launch of space shuttle Detent.
OK. Everything is in except for the buffer tube and its bits. I look down and think, why are there some extra bits? I hope RRA decided to add an extra spring or two..... Hammer spring? I missed that part of the lifelibertyetc.com video cause my wife came down to tell me since I'm so handy putting the lower together, she's going to have a list of things for me to do around the house. Darn it! Putting a lower together doesn't mean I know anything about electricity!
Sigh...
Old November 28, 2009, 10:52 PM   #6
AMX

My cat saved me once. I launched one and probably never would have found it if my cat had not ran right to it and started pawing at it.