The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 7, 2005, 06:57 PM   #1
Tylden

Most fun day at the range and only fired 5 rounds

I think I had the most fun I've ever had at the range today, and I only fired 5 shots ! My son turned 11 yesterday and received his first rifle ( a CZ 452 Scout .22LR bolt action). After a quick refresher on the safety rules (he knows this from shooting a bb gun) I started him out shooting at milk jugs full of water at 25 yards....I know, not very dramatic with a .22, but he loved hearing the "plunk" when he hit one and seeing the streams of water draining out of the holes. I thought it was a good idea to give him something bigger than a soda can to shoot at too in order to build his confidence. He found the soda cans a little harder to hit Once he relaxed a little bit and got in the groove, he turned those jugs into swiss cheese He was particularly pleased when he shot the lid off one of the jugs....the huge smile on his face said it all !!! He's hooked !!! He did most of his shooting today on one knee in a prone position, or leaning across the bench without using the rest. (he said it was a lot more fun to "hold it himself") I think we have a shooter on our hands here ! He already told me tomorrow after school he wants to go back and shoot some more Tomorrow I'll have target dots on the milk jugs (aim small miss small), water balloons hanging by the saw horses on string, and some exploding targets hidden behind the bullseyes on some paper targets....just to keep it FUN !
Oh yeah....my five shots ? I couldn't resist taking out the Marlin .30-30 I brought home over the weekend. My son was in total awe when he saw what a .30-30 does to water filled milk jugs at 25 yards ....definately a lasting impression
Tonight we'll have our first father/son cleaning session and I'll teach him how to care for his new rifle. Life is good folks....my son is one happy camper, and I have the best shooting partner a man could ever ask for !
Old September 7, 2005, 09:58 PM   #2
Dave Haven

Sounds like a great time.
I've had lots of good times shooting with my Dad since he gave me my first rifle for my 6th birthday. (Mauser Deutsches Sportmodell 34, Kal. .22 lang für buchsen) The first time he took me out to shoot it, I think he enjoyed the day at least as much as I did.
Treasure those memories. I'm sure he will, as I treasure the memories of shooting with my Dad over the last 40+ years. (And we're not through shooting together, yet.)

Last edited by Dave Haven; September 8, 2005 at 08:49 PM.
Old September 7, 2005, 10:11 PM   #3
shortround60

Father of the year

You, my friend, are now in the running for father of the year in a certain young man's eyes. That's how I felt when my father took me out for our first shooting session. I am a father myself and my six year old daughter is being taught the safety fundamentals so that this November, when our birthdays come, we will have our first shooting session. I commend you for passing along the greatest of american past times.
Old September 8, 2005, 02:22 AM   #4
TennesseeMedic

Awesome!

What an inspiring post. You have given him a day he will remember forever. Good luck and may you have many more good range days to come.

Doc

Last edited by TennesseeMedic; September 8, 2005 at 07:02 AM.
Old September 8, 2005, 05:00 AM   #5
Cpl Punishment

Good job raising the next generation.
Old September 8, 2005, 08:17 AM   #6
Clayfish

Thank God for fathers who are still willing to spend time with their sons.
Old September 8, 2005, 08:18 AM   #7
mathman

Question related to the thread...

What is a good age for a child to start shooting? I think I started when I was 7, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Any widely accepted age on this? I want to take my daughter out, but she will only be 6 next month. Thanks.
Old September 8, 2005, 05:20 PM   #8
Cpl Punishment

I started when I was 4 -- with a BB gun.
Dad bought me my first rifle -- .22 -- when I was 6.
Old September 8, 2005, 06:29 PM   #9
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
Mathman...

When you feel your child is ready to handle the responsability, and be safe.

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.
Old September 8, 2005, 07:33 PM   #10
ConRich

Clayfish beat me to it. Teach him all you can for as long as you can. You'l only get one shot at it.

RIch
Old September 9, 2005, 09:06 PM   #11
Ichiro

Very nice!

~Ichiro
Old September 9, 2005, 09:34 PM   #12
TPAW

TYLDEN

Quote:
....my son is one happy camper, and I have the best shooting partner a man could ever ask for !
What a GREAT story! I tip my hat to you! It reminded me of years gone buy when I gave my son his first pellet rifle. Many moons later and many calibers larger, we still shoot together and enjoy every moment of it! I even gave the bug to my daughter who loves to shoot her Ruger 10/22.
Thanks for sharing your story!
Old September 11, 2005, 04:43 PM   #13
EricN

what a great story...

Tylden,

What a great story! Those are experiences your son will cherish forever. I have a nephew due at the end of the month and unbeknown to his parents he already has a 10/22 in my safe.

Good Shooting

EricN