The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 20, 2010, 01:07 PM   #1
badazwelder

New to reloading

Just got a lee 9mm loader from Midway USA. It was only $21 and includes everything to reload except a hammer. Bought some hornady 9mm XTP bullets, i already have some good spent brass,just need primers and powder, waiting on the load chart that comes with the load kit to buy powder. Anyone ever use these types of reloaders? I read the online instruction manual and it seems simple enough. Just dont wanna get wrapped up in it, really just wanna reload my own 9mm ammo. Anyone who has used this type of equipment or knows a thing or two about reloading, please leave your advice. Thanks for your time.
Old February 20, 2010, 01:14 PM   #2
The Tourist

For many years I used a "C" style press, a beam-scale, and a manual cast bullet sizing swedge. I questimate that this sytem perhaps accounted for 10K rounds.

I enlarged my reloading room as time and money provided. Enjoy your new hobby!
Old February 20, 2010, 01:47 PM   #3
Don H

I used Lee Loaders in the '60s when I was young and poor. It crafts serviceable ammo at an excrutiatingly slow pace. If I were to use one now I think I would try a light deadblow hammer. Powder dipping technique should be consistant in order to get consistant charges.

Have fun!
Old February 20, 2010, 02:37 PM   #4
QBall45

This would have been better posted in the handloading/reloading section.
Old February 20, 2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Edward429451

I've never used the LEE system but I keep thinking how cool it;d be to load ammo around the campfire and take a deer with it the next AM
Old February 20, 2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

I started out with a lee loader many years ago. Although my loading bench is now taken apart because of some re-modeling in the man-cave, I can't wait to get it up and running again. The Lee Loader introduced me to a very interesting and rewarding hobby. It is an excellent way to see if handloading is for you.
Old February 21, 2010, 12:16 PM   #7
badazwelder

RE: Reloading section

Sorry guys, i didnt notice the section on reloading until i posted this thread, i am new here, just getting used to the site, i have got alot of good advice since ive been here on pistols mostly. Once again sorry, i will watch where i post threads from now on.
Old February 21, 2010, 01:05 PM   #8
CWPinSC

Don't worry about the Forum Police, "badazwelder". Just ask a Moderator to move the thread.

Welcome.
Old February 21, 2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Average Joe

I started reloading shotgun shells with a Lee handloader kit, at the age of 12. It was the most fun I ever had as a kid. I reloaded thousand of shells, and was a real thrill to shoot what I had loaded myself...Nothing wrong with a Lee handloading kit, I say go for it...And have fun.