The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2001, 11:04 PM   #1
Jeff, CA

I've just discovered that the holes in my plastic MTM loading blocks are too small to take .45-70s mouth up. Are there any alternatives? A shotshell block, maybe?

Old May 8, 2001, 11:37 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, a shotgun block for, what, 28-gauge? Dunno.

If you know somebody who does woodworking, or of a custom furniture builder, they might have a Forstner bit of appropriate diameter--cuts a flat-bottomed hole. Most any 1" or 2" board will do. Just a few minutes with a drill press...

, Art
Old May 9, 2001, 12:59 AM   #3
C.R.Sam

If a bottoming bit is not available.....drill 5/8" holes all the way through and then attach a thin piece for bottom plate.

Sam
Old May 10, 2001, 01:02 PM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Your basic paddle bit works pretty well too. Only difference is you'll have that li'l "extra" hole at the bottom = no biggie. Use the next size larger than your brass.
Old May 10, 2001, 05:22 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

I've made loading blocks using "regular" drill bits by drilling all the way through a 3/4" pine board and then gluing a piece of thin plywood to the bottom. [added later - oops, I see Sam has already suggested that. RODP (Read Once, Don't Post)]

If you want a ready made block, Midway's wooden loading block #8 is made for the 45-70.