The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 12, 2010, 10:04 AM   #1
liloldhobit

mauser condition

Hey everybody new to the forum so if question has been asked before bare with me please. I am entertaing the idea of building a custom useing a mauser action what are the tell tell signs of a bad action / reciever, and where might i find a mauser for sale other than gun broker. sarco is out ,jg has yugo;not sure about the yugo.any help would be great
Old September 12, 2010, 11:10 AM   #2
PetahW

If I was building a Mauser-based custom rifle today, ILO doing all the expensive alteration work, I would look around for an entire commercial rifle with a Mauser action which already has an altered bolt handle, aftermarket trigger/safety, and is D/T'd.
You'd also be secure in the knowledge that most (not all) of them have been made of decent quality steel, and shouldn't have any blood rust below the stock line.

Just be sure that it's in a chambering that uses a bolt face compatible with whatever cartridge you're planning for, so no bolt work/swap would be necessary.

Old September 12, 2010, 12:38 PM   #3
HankC1

When you buy a mauser action, check to make sure the receiver is straight. Mauser receiver can be twisted easily if not careful when removing the barrel. Seat it on a flat surface. Should be solid. Not the end of world if twisted a bit. Can be twisted back. I did one. Also, there are different mauser action types, small ring, large ring, and large ring with small shank, also Yugo mid length action. Standard large ring mauser is better.
Old September 12, 2010, 02:45 PM   #4
Scorch

You can buy new commercial Mauser actions for about $350 (Zastava actions), less than you would pay to sporterize a military Mauser action, and probably better than any millitary Mauser action you could find. Get a hold of WildAlaska and ask him, I am sure he would be glad to help you out.

If you are stuck on using a military Mauser action, you can buy actions from Shotgun News for about $100.
Old September 12, 2010, 08:33 PM   #5
10-96

And for not a whole lot more, you might find a 1903A3 action that has already been bubba'd.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 13, 2010, 01:13 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe I will get in trouble here, but are you set up with a good shop and all the tools and equipment you will need, and do you know how to do the work?

If not, and you will be paying for the work, be aware that if you want a sporting rifle, you can buy a good used or even a new commercial model for a whole lot less than you will spend buying an action and having your own built.

Project for fun? Sure. Economical sporting rifle? Nope.

Jim
Old September 13, 2010, 03:00 PM   #7
liloldhobit

No trouble at all you bring up a good point. I am machanically enclined and have alot of the hand tools .I would probably have to outsorce some work. but am ok with a lot of the work. this would be a prodject rifle.I do light smithing to my collection as is . I have built 2 ars. and found it to be enjoyable.
Old September 23, 2010, 12:28 AM   #8
Clark

I have been sporterizing Mausers for 45 years.
It is not worth the time and money.
But it is a really entertaining hobby.

I have built up many different Mausers, but I can't see anything wrong with a VZ24
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=120

By the time I am done with them, few of the parts are in original condition.