The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 15, 2014, 10:27 AM   #1
mark clausen

.32 savage

I didn't know where the best place to post this is and I searched forums and found no answer so here it is. I picked up a 1907 Savage .32 and am trying to figure out a feed issue. Gun ejects cleanly but the tip of the picked up round ends up jammed into the top of the slide. Above the chamber. I don't know if it is the way I'm holding the gun or a feed ramp issue or magazine problem. Is there a rule of thumb on gun jams, generally, that let you know what causes what. Like a stove pipe is from this, or limp wristing causes this and so on. It's a pretty cool little gun, serial # says it was made in 1911, not a safe queen by any means but above average condition I think. Thanks for any help or advice.
Mark
Old January 15, 2014, 11:28 AM   #2
PetahW

W/O directly inspecting the gun, IMO it sounds like the magazine lips may be a bit too far apart, allowing the nose of the loading round to rise too high.

Old January 16, 2014, 11:26 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you want to play with the feed lips, be very careful; those magazines are thin and the feed lips are hardened, which means they can break easily if messed with. If the magazine is original, it might be better to buy a repro to work with than to take a chance of wrecking an original magazine.

Jim
Old January 17, 2014, 02:12 PM   #4
mark clausen

Thanks for that idea Jim. I will check Numrich's
Old January 17, 2014, 02:39 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Another note I always post on Savage pistols. Those grips have to be bent to remove them, and the old gutta percha is very brittle. I strongly suggest not removing the grips at all unless you absolutely have to.

Jim
Old January 17, 2014, 02:56 PM   #6
mark clausen

I played around with the grips a little but decided not to push it since there was no real purpose in removing them in the first place. I was just learning the ins and outs of the gun using an old NRA assembly/disassembly book I have.
Mark
Old March 18, 2014, 12:10 PM   #7
mark clausen

Sight Height

I started working on this pistol again. I have a new magazine coming from Numeric's. I'm hoping for a little insight on the next stage. The front sight is broken off the slide. It was origonally mounted on two studs, the remains of which I punched out. Looking at pictures on the web I have a pretty good idea of the shape, the radius I made half the length of the old slot, but I don't know the exact height it should be.I'm thinking if I drew a parallel line from the top of the back sight to the muzzle that would give me the correct height. Does that sound right? I also am thinking about filing the web in between the two holes to make a slot for filing and soldering ease. Thanks for any advice. Mark
[IMG][/IMG]
Old March 18, 2014, 09:09 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

The height of the front sight is based on a complex calculation involving bullet velocity, trajectory, distance to zero and several other factors others will probably cite to show you what height your sight needs to be.

But if I were you, I would use a very simple calculation that says the height of the front sight on a Savage Model 1907 should be .160" above the slide. This is based on the highly complex mathematics of measuring one.

Jim
Old March 19, 2014, 08:13 AM   #9
mark clausen

Speaking of simple, I guess I could have just asked if anyone knew how tall the sight is Thanks. New magazine from Numeric's works perfect except it's only 7 shots quick. There is obvious differences in the feed lips between the old one and the new.
Old March 19, 2014, 11:18 AM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Mark,

Sorry for the tweaking, but I couldn't resist. Every time someone mentions front sight height, folks go into a big spiel about trajectory, etc.

Jim
Old March 19, 2014, 11:45 AM   #11
mark clausen

Will post a pic of the sight if I don't mess it up too bad.