The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 20, 2012, 10:50 PM   #1
hopeisnotastrategy

Best Hunting Pack?

What is the best backpack for a hunter carrying a rifle. I've seen some really cool stuff for bow hunters and for bird hunters but not for someone with a rifle hunting elk, deer, etc.

I'd be cool if there were a pack that held shooting sticks, tripod, ammo, and could serve as a rifle rest if need be.

Thanks in advance.

Only one life, 'twill soon be past. Only what's done for Christ will last.
http://scottrossonline.com/
Old September 21, 2012, 10:35 AM   #2
1tfl

For past 20+ years I have been using an old brown Eastpack backpack with leather bottom that used to be a school book pack. I use it when going out on a hunt for less than 24 hours. I put a Gerber plastic water bladder in it and run the hose to the shoulder strap. All the other stuff goes in the main compartment. The small compartment has the first aid kit and a head light. I can use the pack as rifle rest when I go prone. I carry spare ammo on the rifle butt cuff that zips up so it stays clean and dry. If I'm carrying a sidearm I carry spare ammo for it on the belt. I don't carry a shooting stick or tripod.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Doyle

Unless you are going to be carrying a serious amount of gear over a long distance, pretty much any hunting pack will work just fine. I use a cheap Remington brand from Walmart. It has a 2 liter water bladder and a steel spine to keep it upright.
Old September 22, 2012, 03:57 PM   #4
spaniel

It's really a more complex question than that. It depends what type of hunting you are doing. When I'm in Montana hiking into wilderness areas to chase mule deer and elk, I use an Eberlestock pack with a built in gun scabbard. It is also excellent for packing around a 3-day camp and bringing out 100lbs of meat in a single trip.

However, on three hour hunts in Indiana where I can see my truck from where I sit it is a bit overkill.
Old September 22, 2012, 04:16 PM   #5
scottycoyote

i have different packs for different hunting situations, but i too like the eberlestock packs if you want a larger pack that will carry the stuff you mentioned. I also like maxpedition packs, i have a gunslinger pack thats great but it wont carry a rifle or bow.
Old September 22, 2012, 04:27 PM   #6
rickyjames

a black and tan, 2 blueticks and an airedale.
Old September 22, 2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'd just use a little fanny pack for dozen-mile walks in south Brewster County. Elsewhere I didn't bother, since I rarely walked more than a couple of miles from where I parked my truck or jeep. A GI canteen on a pistol belt was commonly all I'd have.
Old September 22, 2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Any pack will do but Badlands seems to be what you are looking for. I don't own any thing by them, but they seem pretty nice.

http://www.badlandspacks.com
Old September 28, 2012, 08:08 PM   #9
lefteye

Badlands packs are very good . . . I use them for bow hunting. Eberlestock packs are even better IMHO, but I don't have one (YET).
Old September 29, 2012, 09:05 AM   #10
old roper

I've got the is one

http://www.eberlestock.com/X2%20Pack.htm

http://www.eberlestock.com/miva/merc...tegory_Code=AC

This is my 2nd year with pack and it's a good one.
NRA Life Member
Old October 1, 2012, 06:37 PM   #11
Magnum Mike

I have a badlands that was a gift and I love it! It has straps for carrying a bow or a shooting stick and flashlight pocket! Lots of pockets.
Also has lifetime warranty, which they encourage you to abuse the pack!

Last edited by Magnum Mike; October 1, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old October 6, 2012, 06:25 PM   #12
Charles S

If you are doing a lot of walking then a great pack.. not a good pack is an investment.

Badlands makes some amazing stuff... many of which I want to try.

Before Badlands was a thought I purchased a Kelty hunting pack that has served my need very well.

The pack I use is no longer made, but has served me very well. Water resistant with a built in hunter orange cover that is water proof. It is a shame that they no longer make it. Imagine the Shrike 32 in a hunting configuration....

If I had to buy based upon what is available now, I would by Badlands.

Charles

Tags
backpacks