The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 21, 2013, 02:46 PM   #26
BigJimP

There is so much difference in controls, feel, grip angle, etc ...on a variety of handgun mfg's....that just buying a .22 or a 9mm isn't the issue....its about picking something that fits your hands ...that you can practice with effectively.

Have a .22 with a very different feel, grip, controls, etc - from a different mfg's 9mm....doensn't make for good practice with a .22 .../ having something similar ( will be better )....

The .22 is not inherently a waste of money ...but it depends on what you want the .22 for...practice drawing from holster ( its no practice for recoil control), plinking, etc...

Good long term .22's ....maybe a conversion kit for the 9mm platform that you like ( Sig, 1911, etc ) ..../ maybe a Browning Buckmark with a similar grip angle to a 1911.../ maybe a .22 revolver like a K frame S&W ..and then a K frame revolver in .357 mag ( shoot .38's and .357 in it ) then the .22 version is useful in practice in and out of holster, double action trigger pull, etc...as you transition to the .357 mag....
----------
I have about 50 handguns...and about 8 .22's ( a couple of revolvers, some Buckmarks, some conversion kits )...none of them are a waste, because I had a plan for them, when I bought them.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:24 PM   #27
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimP View Post
...I have about 50 handguns...
OMG! A hoarder!

Don't you know those things are dangerous? Send some to me and I'll keep them safe for you.

Back to the OP's point, while a lot of folks disparage .22LR, it does have a very meaningful place. Otherwise it would have faded long ago.

Now, for a primary carry gun, there may - or may not depending on circumstances, be a better choice. You have to figure that out for yourself based on your circumstances. I'd take a .22 over a .25 any day of the week.

My wife has a .380, which a lot of people also think is too wimpy. But it beats the pants off begging for mercy.

9mm has the lions share of the market because it has a lot of advantages most people desire. But, as I said, if .22 was completely useless it would have faded long ago.

MB

Last edited by mrbatchelor; January 21, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 07:05 PM   #28
BigJimP

and I'll take them all with me, even the .22's....