The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 12, 2012, 06:01 AM   #1
Lloyd Smale

nikon does it again

Bought a new pair of monarch atb 8x42s about 12 years ago. Three years ago i dropped them on cement and they wouldnt focus out past 300 yards anymore. Sent them to nikon and told them the damage was my fault. About 2 weeks later i got a new pair of the updated version of the same binocular free. earlier while doing some crop damage shooting my buddy dropped this set and broke the eye glass ajusment eye piece off. Boxed them up and sent them to nikon again telling them the truth and yesterday a brand new set of there again updated monarch 5s came in the mail. Cant say enough good things about there customer service dept.
Old December 12, 2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Kreyzhorse

I've never had to use their customer service but stories like yours are the reason I continue to buy their scopes and binoculars.
Old December 12, 2012, 08:30 AM   #3
bedlamite

Interesting. About 10 years ago I bought a Nikon 28-200 AF-D camera lens (USA warranty, not grey market) that the zoom locked up after 3 months, and Nikon wouldn't fix it under warranty, and wanted $400 to repair it, almost as much as I paid for it new. I'll never give them another nickel.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:12 AM   #4
taylorce1

Quote:
Interesting. About 10 years ago I bought a Nikon 28-200 AF-D camera lens (USA warranty, not grey market) that the zoom locked up after 3 months, and Nikon wouldn't fix it under warranty, and wanted $400 to repair it, almost as much as I paid for it new. I'll never give them another nickel.
My experience as well with Nikon CS. I bought a used Monarch scope and they state in there warranty that they will repair it or replace and that the warranty transfers. It wouldn't hold zero so I sent it in and they wanted nearly the cost of a new one to fix it as well. The CS rep I talked to said when I asked why they wouldn't honor the warranty said it had been damaged through neglect. The only neglect it had on it was some pretty good ring marks from the previous owner where it had slid in the rings. I used it for nearly three years before it went shouth on the zero. I guess cosmetic damage qualifies as neglect.

Leupold has never done that to me and I've had a few scopes go back in for checkups, and have only ever had to have two repaired. One had a bad reticle and the other I picked up from a pawn shop with a scratched objective, and missing turret caps. They replaced the lens, turret caps, and it had a bad erector, fixed it all no questions asked.

I still have and use a couple of Nikons, but I have no faith in their warranty or CS.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lifetime_Warranty_Certificate.pdf (1.41 MB, 2 views)