The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 15, 2014, 11:33 PM   #1
Niantician

M-38 Swedish Mauser question

Evening.. Picked up a beautiful M-38 swedish mauser today . It has the threaded barrel. Right now theres just a piece of plastic protecting the threads. Ive seen the screw on flash hiders, and I'll get one if I need to but I also want to get a front sight hood. Can someone tell me whether the sight hoods cover the threads so I wont need the flash hider? Or does it just slide over the barrel and still leave the threads exposed?
Old October 15, 2014, 11:44 PM   #2
Niantician

/IMG]
A few pics since we all love pics.
Old October 16, 2014, 10:40 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

The threads on the end of the Swede's barrel were not for a flash hider or flash suppressor, although someone probably makes one to fit these days.

The threads were for attaching a device on the muzzle that would shred the wooden bullet used in Swedish training ammunition. Normally the threads were covered with a steel ring (nut) to protect them. You can still get them, as far as I know. Try Gun Parts Corp (Numrich)

I don't think the sight hood covers the barrel threads (if it did, why have a separate thread protector?) but I do not know for certain. Sorry.
Old October 16, 2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Niantician

Yeah, just want to screw something on so it doesnt look like the end of a garden hose. The flash hider although not needed is the only thing I can think of that looks good and covers them up. Thamks
Old October 16, 2014, 02:53 PM   #5
ironman615

Numrich usually has the metal thread protectors in stock, and they're cheap. The sight hood does not cover the threads, and they should have them as well. I have a 1943 Husqvarna, and I love it. It's a very nice shooting rifle, very accurate and pleasant to shoot. Good buy!
Old October 16, 2014, 07:47 PM   #6
MikeG

I understand the flash supressor hurts accuracy though.
Old October 17, 2014, 09:36 AM   #7
Jimro

Those 1941 Husqvarna M38s are very nice. Mine has an oversized chamber though, so brass bulges about half to two thirds of the way down. Headspace is fine, the chamber is just overly large. Neck sizing your brass is the best way to get good life out of it while minimizing the risk of a case head separation.

Jimro
Old October 17, 2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Niantician

I haven't shot it yet. But I will be on the lookout. The disc on the stock tells me that the gun is in good shape. Or at least it was then it was checked haha.
Old October 17, 2014, 04:03 PM   #9
Niantician

I ordered both an oem sight hood and an aftermarket flash hider. I'll shoot it from my rest with the flash hider both on and off and see if theres any negative influence from the flash hider.
Old October 19, 2014, 05:54 PM   #10
bumnote

You can get the metal muzzle cap at Samco. My M96 has a threaded barrel and the metal cap cosmetically works pretty well. They also have the taller front sight blade, under 300m your POI with be high, and they also have the sight cover. I bought the brass catchers and their stripper clips. The clips work with my Swedes and my '03.
Congrats on the M38! I have one from the same year...I love the Swede Mauser and the 6.5x55 is probably my favorite rifle round.