The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2014, 07:21 AM   #1
DF66

T/C Encore load ?

Hello to everyone new to site and reloading looking for advice wanting to use Nosler accubond 140 spitzer boat tail IMR-4350 know i will have to load a couple and try to get a true powder grain weight going by my lyman handbook for load just curious thanks ya'll.
Old April 18, 2014, 04:59 PM   #2
hoghunting

Welcome to the forum.

Before anyone can give any advice, you have to tell us what cartridge you are reloading.
Old April 19, 2014, 07:13 AM   #3
DF66

i think

WOW that would be a big help 270 win thanks HogHunter.

Last edited by DF66; April 19, 2014 at 07:23 AM. Reason: adding
Old April 19, 2014, 07:48 AM   #4
myfriendis410

You've made two excellent choices in regards to powder and bullet. I would prefer the 130 gr. as it's the "standard" weight for the .270 and should do everything you want to do. The b.c. may be better with the 140 and your gun will tell you what it likes. 4350 is the gold standard for the .270 but there are any number of powders out there. You will in all likelihood (unless you are luckier than me) want to try a variety of powders to find the one most suited to your gun.

The encore will also allow you to potentially reload with minimal sizing (you probably won't need to f/l size) which can in theory improve shooting accuracy. You also have more room to play with bullet seating depth as an aid to accuracy.
Old April 19, 2014, 06:33 PM   #5
DF66

hi and thanks very much i am thinking of buying new brass load and neck size them after fire forming to my gun been trying to do alot of research had all my loading equipment for about nine months still haven't loaded a bullet just trying to gain knowledge again thanks.
Old April 19, 2014, 09:19 PM   #6
Doyle

I don't reload for my Encore but I do know that they can be more finiky about shoulder length than bolt actions. That is because in a bolt action, the case head is held in place at a more-or-less constant distance from the bolt face. In a break-open rifle, the cartridge has a tendency to rest with the shoulder against the chamber bevel and the distance from the case head to the bolt face varies with the shoulder length of the brass.

Because of machining differences, you could wind up with a frame/barrel combination that needs a little longer case than normal or one that needs a little shorter case than normal. Check out Mike Belm's site for how to properly set headspace on an Encore.